Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Blinds

Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Spike

Default Hunting Blinds

I'm hoping to get some ideas and opinions on the use of hunting blinds for whitetail. What blinds has everyone had success with? What brands our best?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think this one cost about $100.00. Its comfortable and keeps you dry when it's raining. It has zip down windows on all four sides and a zipper door. It also has shoot through screens for bow hunters.

It'as called a Doghouse Blind and made by Ameristep.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:01 AM
Spike

most any of the flip up blinds work well, just get them out with enough lead time for the deer/ turkey to become use to them in there enviroment.

we have several out on our place that where put up and and have been left standing for several years, but we also have several moveable wooden shooting houses that we build in our spare time from scrap wood left over from our families home building operation
Old 05-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

I have an Ameristep "Bone Collector" similiar to the Dog House. Works great and goes up in no time. I find that it works better if I put some tree limbs and brush around it. Deer dont seem to notice it as much. Worked great last deer season where I put last year.Had an old maple tree fall over from tropical storm Lee. Went in an cut an area out the size of blind in middle of top and trim limbs out of way for shooting lanes. Had deer coming up and eating the dryed leaves off the limbs when sitting in it. Shot a nice 5 point at maybe 5 yds with bow from it. Going to put it back in this fall same spot.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Rivers Edge Ground Blind and it is made very nice,easy to set up and take down and it cost me a little under $100.00.There are so many different styles of Blinds out there it can be mind boogling to say the least!There are several Blinds that have more open area's to shoot out of and those would be better suited if You were Bow Hunting with a Traditional or Compound Bow or Crossbow.

One thing to look for is the width and hidth of it especially if You plan on Bow Hunting in it,You can get away with a small blind if Your Rifle/Gun Hunting but when Bow Hunting You need more room since You'll be drawing back a decent size Bow that needs the higher ceiling and width for drawing back a Bow.

My first Ground Blind was purchased for the Sportsmans Guide Catalog and it was on sale for around $60.00,it was one of the nicest Blinds I have owned and it even had the Zip-down flaps in the roof in case it got hot You had better ventilation when Hunting in warmer weather....and it does get hot in those blinds with the black interiors.

As NYS-Buckstalker mentioned when setting a Blind up it is a good idea to use surrounding cover to blend it in better for the Deer to get use to it and not notice it as much as one sitting on a field edge out in the open.I usually find a good spot and put mine under over-hanging branches then I take some Cedar Tree limbs that I cut off and slip them into the loops on the Blind or tie them on with string and hang them down,when I'm out in a Field with tall grass I cut off a bunch and put it up against the sides of the blind and slip some into the loops on the blind.

Most well made Blinds will have some type of loop/hangers or area's to put in some natural ground cover,limbs,leaves etc to better Camo the Hunting Blind.Another good Idea for Safety Purposes is to get some of the Orange Safety Ribbon and hang it out around Your Blind so other Hunters can see it...from a long distance some Hunting Blinds blend in so well You can't make them out and some Blind Companies have little Camo flaps You can open up and velcro down for other Hunters to see at long distances.Just remember....even tho You may be wearing some type of Hunter Orange,inside a Ground Blind Your hidden and You need to let other Hunters know where You are for Your safety.

Last edited by GTOHunter; 05-06-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

GTOHunter has a very good idea about displaying some orange around the blind. Even on your own land you can never tell about deer hunters trespassing. Someone trespassing is probably not familiar with the site and is probably in a hurry to shoot something and get gone, not into special care to take a safe shot. I have old hunter orange vests around that have a string missing, etc. Not a bad idea to tape them to something close.

I have been looking into buying a plastic hunting blind too, I have never owned one. I notice that most of them are not tall enough to stand up in(I am 5'9''). I also thought it might be best to have one big enough for two to sit in. That gets the price up over $100.

I have a neighbor that has a wooden shooting hut on a small two wheel trailer. He moves it from place to place on his farm. It looks to be about 5'X7'.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Spike

I have a primos blind, love it. My chief complaints about that blind is the noisy windows & the lack of lower vertical type windows for shooting out of with a bow. This Ultimate blind by Field and stream addressed both of those issues SO I bought it! Sweet set up...I used it several times in 2011, everything from deer hunting with bow, gun, and coyote hunting & it rocks.

blind review on youtube
Old 05-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

I have had an Ameristep brand blind for a few years. I like it. Not sure which model it was. Has a 3D leafy look.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

As already mentioned there are tons of different portable blinds on the market today. Many are very good, durable blinds with plenty of room. My opinion is that the "Double Bull" is a very good value in a portable blind .... though if you are going to have to tote is a long ways in/out it is not so portable because of the weight. It is simple to set up and roomy. Mine has been great considering the much use it gets. The model I have is also rain proof, though in a hard drivng torrent it will leak a tad around some of the seams.

You need enough room to move with stealth, and to sit comfortably hour on end. One thing that I have noticed is that many will sort of "pink out" if left out month after month. I guess it is the effect of UV on the cloth dye.

As already mentioned it does not hurt at all to soften up the profile of these "huts" with branches and/or clumps of grass. And I do tie a strip of "hunter orange" at the top of my blind ... just in case some dumb a$$ here in SE Alabama mistakes it for a sleeping elephant!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Primos Ground Max Predator. I have two and they work great. Paid $120 for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.