Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What sort of scent?

Old 08-20-2003, 12:23 PM

Default What sort of scent?

Okay, gang, I' ve got one that might be off-the-wall. I' ve been thinking " out of the box" for ways to attract deer in to a stand. What I' ve come up with is this: a scented candle that is not a deer scent, such as the Hot Trails candles. I' m thinking that a deer' s natural curiousity will draw it out of its bed to find out just what the deuce that strange scent is. Hopefully, I' ll be waiting at that place and time, and . . . Anyway, would a vanilla-scented candle work?

I realize that this is a weird idea, but it just may work. I know about the fire issue, and the candle would be in a jar, on a rock, within 20-30 yards of my stand.

Am I nuts, or am I on to something?
Old 08-20-2003, 03:11 PM

Default RE: What sort of scent?

I bet Vanilla would attract deer, and if I remember correctly, bears.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:56 PM

I actually use an attractant called vanilla killa for attracting deer, and it works real well. Made by team fitzgerald hunting products.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:16 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Am I nuts, or am I on to something?
Yes!
You never know till you try! Sounds like it might work. Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-20-2003, 10:28 PM

Rebel Wolf...same here, Vanilla Killa! Works Great!!
Old 08-21-2003, 09:21 AM

Try this trick if your hunting the acorns or soft mast food sources. Deer tend to go to the freshest fallen acorns and soft mast such as crab apples, persimmons etc.
Take a some acorns up in the tree with you and periodically drop some out every five minutes or so. Deer listen for this sound when searching for fresh food.
Ive killed alot of deer using this technique. Last year I was hunting some crabapple trees when a doe and a button buck started feeding by me at about 50 yards. I dropped a crabapple and both deer stopped and looked my direction. I dropped another one and they both made a b- line for my tree. They milled around for a few minutes looking and smelling when I decided to take the doe.
Perfect 15 yard shot.
I do use those rubber latex surgical type gloves when I handle the fruit so I dont leave any scent. I have even pulled deer out of their beds in the middle of the day doing this.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:35 AM

Benhuntin - Shhh!

Quit giving away my acorn secret! I have been filling my cargo pocket of my camo' s up w/ acorns for a few years now. Periodically reach in and drop a few at a time. Neat little trick to pull deer in to your tree. I just found an old abandon farm that is full of crab apples - i' ll have to try them this year.