Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your Opinion???

Old 01-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Your Opinion???

A Step Forward and a Step Backwards.

There is a new device on the market to help us take a step backwards in honing our hunting skills. It also helps us take a step forward in providing negative thoughts by anti hunters and non-hunters.

The device is the Game Spy. As I understand it, it is designed to alert us when game is near. Think about it.

How many deer have I failed to connect on because they busted me, saw me before I saw them? Untold numbers and some dang big ones, too. Why was I caught? I was not a good enough hunter. That is it, plain and simple. I could not hunt well enough, could not stay alert. Now I don’t have to. This little thing will tell me when a deer gets within 80-feet of me in any direction.

Personally, I do not think it is fair chase. Personally, I am opposed to it. Personally, I think the company is going to make fortune if it does what I understand it does. That of course, is depending on legality. If it is legal, and the person two trees down from me wants to use one, it is not my problem. He certainly has the right to and I shall not think less of him for doing so. It is not my problem.

On the other hand, is it?

How do you think PETA will use this information to portray hunting? How do you think the non-hunting majority will view it? Maybe it is my problem…and yours.

Why does a device like this have such a bright future? Because so many of us don’t want to learn to hunt. We want to kill and more importantly, we want to kill big bucks like the guys and gals on TV kill so easily. Many will go to almost any lengths to do so. We do not want to work at hunting as our ancestors did. We want to take the easy way to put the heads on the wall.

As we move deeper into this century, we move away from learning woodsmanship and hunting skills and we move closer to being placed on the endangered species list.

One step backwards in learning skills and one step forward towards extinction.

Just my opinion. You are more than welcome to yours
Old 01-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is not a vote for or against but you ask for opinions and mine is that your opening up a can of worms in regards to all of the past technology including the weapons we use today that has increased our hunting ability strictly through technology and has nothing to do with true woodsmanship. Do you use bino's, spotting scopes, firearm scopes, range finder, elevated tree stands of any kind, factory made cover scents or attractants? And the list would go on for some time.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a fundamental distaste for any gadget that replaces a a skill. I believe they diminish us as hunters. I hunt and enjoy the woods, in part, to get away from technology.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PETA probably loves it

Increase the gizmos; increase the cost to the hunter. Increase the cost to the hunters; drive more out of the sport completely.

Why we have so many expensive ways coming out to terminate a deer, pretty soon few hunters will be able to afford it.

For anyone under forty, it's probably impossible to hunt with anything invented more than ten years ago.
I can't even advise hunters to hunt cheaply. They only can say is ..."You hunt using WHAT !!!!"
Old 01-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is an often discussed issue ... when does the use of technology used in hunting wild game cross the line of "fairness" ? I have no clue. I'd like be able to to say that I am "old school", but truth is I am just "old". During the past 50 years of hunting I have "progressed" from a 3-shot, bolt action .410 to a 12 g., screw in choke, high tech auto loader. My archery gear which was once upon a time a Ben Pearson "Stick" and cedar arrows ... is now one of the latest and better designed cross bows equipped with a 3-dot LED scope. My rifle hunting gear has "risen" from a lever action, iron sighted rifle that is no longer in production to a drop dead accurate bolt action rifle on top of which sits about the best scope money can buy. My "old" hunting clotes were whatever was more or less too worn out to wear to school. Mostly blue denim, a cotton shirt, canvas jacket ... and if I was lucky maybe a wool coat. My duck hunting boots were "US Kids" that I had slicked off the treds playing basketball. Thanks to superbly constructed boots, high tech fabrics, and super light weight insulation I can hunt comfortably in a driving rain or 95F heat or 35 MPH winds or temperatures approaching 0F ... or about any combination thereof. One can argue the advantages of cammo, but some of this stuff is so realistic that it boggles the mind. I ride an ATV to within a half-mile or less of almost everywhere I hunt. IO have binos that can give my old eyes a chance of picking out game in very low light at well past 1500 yards. I use a climbing stand that can safely take me up well past 25'. I have portable pop-up blinds. And so on ... and so on. So how far back .... 3-4 of us running around barefooted, clothed in only crudely put together animal skins, toting a sharpened stick, trying to drive a few critters off a cliff ?? Like I said, I don't know where the line is to be drawn. I guess it is a personal choice.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wingbone
I have a fundamental distaste for any gadget that replaces a a skill. I believe they diminish us as hunters. I hunt and enjoy the woods, in part, to get away from technology.
Better leave your truck , camo, boots, gloves, rifle with scope all at home then.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like many opinions have already stated, if you dont' hunt in animal skins with a sharpened stick or a rock and stick tomahawk then you are a technology assisted hunter. Who has the right to determine the line that some say get's crossed over. What about wearing everyday hearing aides if you have a hearing deficiency? Who has the right to shoot a state of the art compound bow that is capable of allowing the shooter to make 60 yd shots but then condemn some one using an animal detector. Guess game cams have to go. And that's all I got to say about that.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

I won't be using it. I don't need to kill a deer that bad. Two seasons ago I cut back on the supplies. This year I carried My bow or gun, a drag rope, a knife, and my phone in case I needed it. I was allowing hunting to become a chore and more stressful. Which was not why I hunted. I greatly enjoyed this season more than the previous few. I killed some deer too. Just how I personally feel. If someone wants to use it, go for it and let us know how it works! Not for me though.
-Jake
Old 01-12-2012, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

Unless your hunting in jungle I dont see where this thing will help much at all. You said an 80' range. Thats what roughly 27yds? If I dont see or hear a deer before it gets that close well then I quit and dont deserve to kill it anyways.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I greatly enjoyed this season more than the previous few. I killed some deer too. Just how I personally feel. If someone wants to use it, go for it and let us know how it works! Not for me though.
-Jake

Amen!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.