Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your Opinion???

Old 01-12-2012, 04:38 AM
Spike

I'm in the "no worse than all the other gadgets" camp. I don't think it will have the same impact as, say, the trail camera has. Plus PITA doesn't need any more ammo to use against us, they have plenty already.

To each his own...
Old 01-12-2012, 04:54 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
Like many opinions have already stated, if you dont' hunt in animal skins with a sharpened stick or a rock and stick tomahawk then you are a technology assisted hunter. Who has the right to determine the line that some say get's crossed over. What about wearing everyday hearing aides if you have a hearing deficiency? Who has the right to shoot a state of the art compound bow that is capable of allowing the shooter to make 60 yd shots but then condemn some one using an animal detector. Guess game cams have to go. And that's all I got to say about that.
Yes, exactly. A 30-06 at 80 yards with a scope is certainly not a "fair fight". That said, I probably would not use this device. Got enough junk as it is.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:50 AM
Typical Buck

Some thing else to sit around the campfire and laugh about.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I for the most part agree with and understand the "anything beyond a sharpened stick and a loin cloth," camp. But I think that scribe's point is that this device is embarking on new territory, and the technology will only get better.

Most of the other technological advances that we use and have been discussed here are still, to a degree, extensions of ourselves. They make things easier for us, but we are still required to act and have the ability to use them well. I might have the best binoculars in the world, but that doesn't mean squat if I leave them hanging around my neck, or don't know how to pick out deer hiding in a thicket, or tromp noisily through the woods when using them as an aid to still hunt.

This device requires us to do nothing, and alerts us when a deer is in the area. Sure, an 80-ft radius is pretty much useless IMO, but what about when the technology improves? Let's say it improves to a 100-yard radius. You could set up a blind, take a nap and just wait for this thing to wake you up when a deer breaks the perimeter. Or you could sit in your stand being as careless about your movements, etc until alerted.

So, I see where scribe is coming from. This device, IMO, serves absolutely no purpose except to make hunters more lazy and careless.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I for the most part agree with and understand the "anything beyond a sharpened stick and a loin cloth," camp. But I think that scribe's point is that this device is embarking on new territory, and the technology will only get better.
Im not even sure this gadgets embarking on new territory..And Im pretty sure theres already better technology out there.You ever see that show on tv where those guys go around searching for "monsters"?They got a laser set up that alarms if something goes through it and Im pretty sure its got a much better range then this one.Doing a search for laser alarms brings up pages of different variations of them.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by petasux
Im not even sure this gadgets embarking on new territory..And Im pretty sure theres already better technology out there.You ever see that show on tv where those guys go around searching for "monsters"?They got a laser set up that alarms if something goes through it and Im pretty sure its got a much better range then this one.Doing a search for laser alarms brings up pages of different variations of them.
I'm talking in the hunting world as far as what's available to and marketed towards the average hunter. Of course there is better technology out there that will do what scribe has described this gadget will do and will do it better, it's just not marketed and tailored for hunting.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Dominant Buck

WHat gizzmo? I'd like to take a look at it..

One thing for sure ..getting with in 80 yds of a deer is not going to help me..I need to get the deer to get where I can see them..this takes deer calls and skill

As far as technology..we all use this..
Portable Climbers ..they were not around when I was a kid.
Therma Cells were not around
The type of bows and assessories were not around..I welcome any legal advice that would help me..but to let me know a deer is at 80 yds doesn't help me..I know there are deer in my area..the trouble is they are bedding all day because they have gone nocturnal..I need a device to get them walking in my area..LOL other than calls I'm skunked on that one.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Hunters have been cheating like that for years. I see guys alerting others with Walki-Talkies all the time. I used to hunt Maryland and the first day of rifle, some one was talking to a low flying plane spotting deer in the snow. Why not put a couple devices out 200 yards and relay the signal? Stick it in a trail "Funnel". Most of this "Technology" has been used before, only by poachers. Think about that.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Thunderchicken217
Unless your hunting in jungle I dont see where this thing will help much at all. You said an 80' range. Thats what roughly 27yds? If I dont see or hear a deer before it gets that close well then I quit and dont deserve to kill it anyways.
I would not use one but I have stands in many places I can't see 20 yards. Most of the larger bucks I have killed, were shot in thickets and few shots were over 15-yards. I can't count the ones that saw me first. But as I said in my opening post, that is because I was not a good enough hunter. But of the long-time bowhunters I know or have known, every one has a "busted" story or two to tell. Hunt long enough for the mature animals and you will have deer bust from much closer than 27-yards and you'll never know how they got there.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
If I gotta carry any more equip with me to hunt, will hafta leave my gun at home!
7x binocs...check
12x binocs...check
rangefinder...check
kestrel...check
pda...check
cell phone...check
spotting scope...check
rear support...check
3 shells...check
you get my drift
RR
Okay. I am a dinosaur. I'll admith it. but I have to ask about a couple things.

1- How do you get the dam kestrel to hold still and not fly off ?
2- I believe there is acure, just one shot for a pda.
3- Why two binos and a spotting scope? You opening a store?
4- Do some work on the quad machine in the gym and walk a couple miles a day and you won't need a rear support.
5-All that equipment and only three shells?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.