Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rubs

Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Spike

Default Rubs

Quick question. The rut in our area is over, at its peak bucks where chasing hard with good action. Yesterday I found a few new rubs on trees that I believe were not there in the past weeks. They look as if they where done this week. Two of the rubs are on decent sized trees. Is it common for bucks to continue to rub trees after the rut ? Does the secondary rut bring the same action as the first ? Is it worth hunting these rubs or are the bucks done visiting them ? Any advice would be great.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Spike

From what I just watched yesterday (look at the Thread I just posted with a picture of the 10pt) this deer went to the corner tree behind my house and started ripping the base of it apart. I, like you, didn't realize they continued to do it, but apparently they do. At least here in Pittsburgh, the second rut is starting right now. I will be in the trees the next couple days. Hope that helps
Old 12-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I founf a new rub line just this past Sunday, that had 13 nice size rubs. I know htat these rubs were not there the week before.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, over the years I have witnessed the same, not a lot, but some, you do have to understand that all does are not bred darning the "Rut" & some that are bred do not take, these does will come into estrus again post "Rut" & a sort of "Mimi Rut" will occur. It has been my experience that the more mature bucks are not all that interested (not that they won't bred, but they won't go far out of their to do it) I find a lot of young bucks exhibiting this behavior & take advantage of it. I have nothing to back this up except my observation Doc