Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Advice on deer hunting property? >

Advice on deer hunting property?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Advice on deer hunting property?

Old 12-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Spike

Default Advice on deer hunting property?

I have been debating on buying some property for deer hunting. I would like a mixture of wooded area, and tillable farm land for some income. What would be a adaquate size property in terms of acres for something like this. What is some of the key features for holding deer, ie food plots, water/creek, thick cover. I have no expirence buying property yet. Interested in property in IL, WI, or Iowa.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

I have some in ny...........neighbors poach my deer, cut my wood.

Here is my advice.

Buy 5 acres that backs to some state land.

Lower taxes and more property.

Take my advice !!!

Good luck
Old 12-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Buckyou
I have some in ny...........neighbors poach my deer, cut my wood.

Here is my advice.

Buy 5 acres that backs to some state land.

Lower taxes and more property.

Take my advice !!!

Good luck
I have 50 acres in upstate NY
while i have no problems with neighbors i do agree with smaller lots that back to stateland
and my 50 acres does border stateland and when i hunt NY i hunt the statelands moreso than my own land

your budget will determine what kind of land you will be getting
Old 12-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

1) Consider the above advise.
2) Do your homework by Scouting the area. No use buying land abutting State huntable land if deer routes are nowhere to be seen. After snow falls, scout prospective plots for tracks. Identify mast crops and healthy mast trees. Scout neighboring private property boundaries for evidence of those hunters doing what you plan.
3) Make an informed decision.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by DeppedyDogg
1) Consider the above advise.
2) Do your homework by Scouting the area. No use buying land abutting State huntable land if deer routes are nowhere to be seen. After snow falls, scout prospective plots for tracks. Identify mast crops and healthy mast trees. Scout neighboring private property boundaries for evidence of those hunters doing what you plan.
3) Make an informed decision.
Definitely good advice. Just make sure it's gonna be worth it. Best of luck in your decision though. Owning property is an experience. Could turn a lot of land into a a lot of great hunting opportunities.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

To manage a decent amount of Deer You need around 300-500 Acres or even more...or joining Neighbors that try to let the smaller Bucks walk and have Antler Restrictions.Its best to have Land that has a decent amount of Timber,Open Fields for food plots,a decent water source (Pond,Creek or Lake) and some good thick cover for bedding area's.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

It all depends on your budget. Do you want to manage a herd for yourself? You will need at least 80 acres if you plan on keeping some of your own deer and even that may not be big enough if you don't have proper food, water, and cover. During the rut it won't matter how big your property is because the bucks will be found a mile or more from your property, but if your property holds deer (lot's of cover) then you may actually attract bucks and hold your own. Are you after trophy deer, a good hunt, or a place where you can share hunting adventures with friends and family? Are the neighbors practicing QDM? One of my neighbors has a forty acre wooded bluff. The neighbors all practice QDM and he has a river that runs along the backside of his hill. It was logged/had wind damage a few years ago so it's really thick.It is surrounded by agricultural fields. He doesn't put food plots in, but he sees a lot of great bucks because of the neighboring fields, the water source and the thick cover. Good luck finding a property that you will enjoy for years!
Old 12-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice guys. Im just looking for something for myself, family and friends. Ive been looking mostly in IL. Im not in a huge hurry but i am paying attention. All of my family are farmers, unfortunately we dont have alot of wooded property. I am actually looking for something with about 50-60 acres. If i could get atleast 30 acres of tillable acres i would not get hurt financially for just buying something for recreation. With the economy and the lack of good investments, i think some property is a good idea.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

buying the right piece is key. do your homework, walk the property and check it out. I have 40 acres and although we dont kill a ton of deer, we will always have a place to hunt. I dont need to ever worry about my kids or future grandkids having a place to hunt. that is what motivated me.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Taxes in Wisconsin are a lot more than Iowa. I think Iowa is better. The price is about the same too. Iowa is a few hundred buck more for a tag though. You will pay 180k for 60 ac. in Iowa, Ill. or SW Wis. The deer you shoot will never be worth it unless you got a whole lot more money than I do. The taxes can cost almost what an out of state DIY hunt will run ya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.