Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I missed... Oh for shame...

Old 11-20-2011, 04:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default I missed... Oh for shame...

I was out in the George Washington Nat'l Forest in Virginia yesterday for opening day deer (rifle) season. I had my trusty Savage .308 rifle with me as always. The .308 is wickedly accurate, like it's a heat seeking guided missile launcher, you know?

I grunted a few times and stayed silent, while I was hunkered down overlooking a huge gully in the thick woods. I had the Bushnell 3-9x40 scope zoomed down to "4" and was ready and waiting.

Sure enough, to my surprise, 2 does came trotting along about 75 yards to my left. I looked again, and a NICE SIZE 8 POINTER was also trotting along right behind them. I quickly shouldered my rifle from a half kneeling position, half propped up against a tree. The deer froze right there looking at me. I didn't move a muscle, twitch, blink, fart, or anything. They continued on to the edge of the gully and I waited for the 8 pointer to present a clear shot. I know I had his chest in the crosshairs. It was one of those, "now or never" moments... I hit the trigger, the Savage .308 barked, and the two does and 8 pointer all went flying down the gully at Mach IV. Long story short - I shot right over the 8 pointer's back.

Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:13 AM
Spike

I feel ya I did the same thing yesterday after not having a chance to hunt
In several years. Guess I pulled the trigger instead of squeezing it. I am sick. I think it might have been my biggest buck to date
Old 11-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stay at it,at least Your seeing some nice Deer...I missed a few Bucks in my time...mostly because they were actually too close and my gun shot high since I usually sight it in out to 100 yards...and as You know it the Deer were very close and I didn't allow for such a close shot?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

It happens man, keep at it. At least you didn't wound one. Go find another!
-Jake
Old 11-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Anyone who says they've never missed is full of it, so you're in good company. I was a terrible shot when I was younger but I'm on a roll for the past few seasons. Oh, I'll yip one again sooner or later and odds are, you'll miss again someday.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks everyone...

Thinking back (and re-reading my original post), I think I rushed the shot and I slapped the trigger instead of gently squeezing it. It was a clean miss. I just wanted to hang my head in shame at first...

I'll be back out there after that 8 pointer, guaranteed! I know where he is!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

At least you made a clean miss and did not wound the deer. I have missed my fair share over the years, usually with a bow. I used to have a terrible habit of throwing my head up and not following through with the shot. Has cost me quite a few deer, especially with a bow.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA
Thanks everyone...

Thinking back (and re-reading my original post), I think I rushed the shot and I slapped the trigger instead of gently squeezing it. It was a clean miss. I just wanted to hang my head in shame at first...

I'll be back out there after that 8 pointer, guaranteed! I know where he is!
Absolutely go back. I was checking a scrape at the end of a logging road and had a nice big buck just walk up to check it too. I had my lever action 30-30 on him at 20 yards, pulled the trigger and heard a loud click because the safety was on. He froze then bolted when I pulled the hammer back again. A week later I shot a 200 lb. 9-pointer sniffing that same scrape at about the same time of day. I'm pretty sure it was the same buck.