HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   I missed... Oh for shame... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/353972-i-missed-oh-shame.html)

ButchA 11-20-2011 04:33 AM

I missed... Oh for shame...

I was out in the George Washington Nat'l Forest in Virginia yesterday for opening day deer (rifle) season. I had my trusty Savage .308 rifle with me as always. The .308 is wickedly accurate, like it's a heat seeking guided missile launcher, you know? :wink:

I grunted a few times and stayed silent, while I was hunkered down overlooking a huge gully in the thick woods. I had the Bushnell 3-9x40 scope zoomed down to "4" and was ready and waiting.

Sure enough, to my surprise, 2 does came trotting along about 75 yards to my left. I looked again, and a NICE SIZE 8 POINTER was also trotting along right behind them. I quickly shouldered my rifle from a half kneeling position, half propped up against a tree. The deer froze right there looking at me. I didn't move a muscle, twitch, blink, fart, or anything. They continued on to the edge of the gully and I waited for the 8 pointer to present a clear shot. I know I had his chest in the crosshairs. It was one of those, "now or never" moments... I hit the trigger, the Savage .308 barked, and the two does and 8 pointer all went flying down the gully at Mach IV. Long story short - I shot right over the 8 pointer's back. :nonono2:

Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!!!!! :bash:

reflex hunter 11-20-2011 05:13 AM

I feel ya I did the same thing yesterday after not having a chance to hunt
In several years. Guess I pulled the trigger instead of squeezing it. I am sick. I think it might have been my biggest buck to date

GTOHunter 11-20-2011 08:04 AM

Stay at it,at least Your seeing some nice Deer...I missed a few Bucks in my time...mostly because they were actually too close and my gun shot high since I usually sight it in out to 100 yards...and as You know it the Deer were very close and I didn't allow for such a close shot? :(

Bocajnala 11-20-2011 09:47 AM

It happens man, keep at it. At least you didn't wound one. Go find another!
-Jake

Horacio 11-20-2011 06:52 PM

Anyone who says they've never missed is full of it, so you're in good company. I was a terrible shot when I was younger but I'm on a roll for the past few seasons. Oh, I'll yip one again sooner or later and odds are, you'll miss again someday.

ButchA 11-21-2011 03:21 AM

Thanks everyone...

Thinking back (and re-reading my original post), I think I rushed the shot and I slapped the trigger instead of gently squeezing it. It was a clean miss. I just wanted to hang my head in shame at first... :(

I'll be back out there after that 8 pointer, guaranteed! I know where he is!

VAhuntr 11-21-2011 03:37 AM

At least you made a clean miss and did not wound the deer. I have missed my fair share over the years, usually with a bow. I used to have a terrible habit of throwing my head up and not following through with the shot. Has cost me quite a few deer, especially with a bow.

RenaissanceBiker 11-21-2011 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by ButchA (Post 3879202)
Thanks everyone...

Thinking back (and re-reading my original post), I think I rushed the shot and I slapped the trigger instead of gently squeezing it. It was a clean miss. I just wanted to hang my head in shame at first... :(

I'll be back out there after that 8 pointer, guaranteed! I know where he is!

Absolutely go back. I was checking a scrape at the end of a logging road and had a nice big buck just walk up to check it too. I had my lever action 30-30 on him at 20 yards, pulled the trigger and heard a loud click because the safety was on. He froze then bolted when I pulled the hammer back again. A week later I shot a 200 lb. 9-pointer sniffing that same scrape at about the same time of day. I'm pretty sure it was the same buck.