HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I missed... Oh for shame...
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 04:33 AM
ButchA
Giant Nontypical

Default I missed... Oh for shame...

I was out in the George Washington Nat'l Forest in Virginia yesterday for opening day deer (rifle) season. I had my trusty Savage .308 rifle with me as always. The .308 is wickedly accurate, like it's a heat seeking guided missile launcher, you know?

I grunted a few times and stayed silent, while I was hunkered down overlooking a huge gully in the thick woods. I had the Bushnell 3-9x40 scope zoomed down to "4" and was ready and waiting.

Sure enough, to my surprise, 2 does came trotting along about 75 yards to my left. I looked again, and a NICE SIZE 8 POINTER was also trotting along right behind them. I quickly shouldered my rifle from a half kneeling position, half propped up against a tree. The deer froze right there looking at me. I didn't move a muscle, twitch, blink, fart, or anything. They continued on to the edge of the gully and I waited for the 8 pointer to present a clear shot. I know I had his chest in the crosshairs. It was one of those, "now or never" moments... I hit the trigger, the Savage .308 barked, and the two does and 8 pointer all went flying down the gully at Mach IV. Long story short - I shot right over the 8 pointer's back.

Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!!!!!