Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer with Weird racks

Old 10-27-2011, 02:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Deer with Weird racks

Any Biologists here? I have about 5 smaller bucks with weird racks mixed in with the ones with more normal racks. A basket rack 4 point with 3 on one side and a spike on the other, a Bigger 6 point with one high normal antler and one that sticks almost straight up, a spike with a 10" curved tine and a 2" spike.

These are all from trail cam pics and my question is, will these guys even out in time, or is this a genetic thing that should go? I have lots of seed bucks this year and a few big boys I hope to get a shot at. We fill the freezer with mostly does, so another advantage to these weirdos is they will attract buckshot from other area hunters who just want to shoot a buck and most of them only shoot a deer or two a year and then they will stay home and watch football. I am surrounded by at least a few that would shoot past a 160# doe to kill a 90# spike and at least one idiot who feels the need to toss #4 buck at anything he sees regardless of distance. I know this because I have shot 2 nice bucks with multiple #4 in them from nose to tail and I have a nice 8 pointer now that has two obvious buckshot wounds on one side.

Do I leave these deer as targets for the others or thin them out? (Yes, we have too many deer, that's one reason the 3 of us that hunt my little patch of land shoot mostly does.)

What's the real deal on odd rack deer?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have some good bucks, so I'd say the genetics in the area are fine. Lots of weird racks are due to injury. I see no problem with leaving these deer as targets for other hunters.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

In the end those funny racked bucks are going to taste just the same as the normal racked deer so just harvest them when you need the meat.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Meat is not a problem. wehave toomanmy deer and that's why we shoot more does. We "try" to let as many of the little bucks grow up as possible. You can't eat horn soup and I just don't get any sense of occomplishment shooting a spike over a doe.

Not trying to be judgemental of anyone else. Just my opinion in my case and my area.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

About 10 or so years ago I had the same screwed up racks on some land I own. I killed every one of them I could get my scope on, probably 7 or 8 of them, and havn't seen another one in two or so years. I think it is genetic, but it don't matter anyway.