Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Still Hunt or Treestand Hunt?
Hunt out of a Treestand
66.67%
Still Hunt with the wind in your favor
33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Still Hunt or Treestand Hunt

Old 10-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Spike

Default Still Hunt or Treestand Hunt

Will be taking a week off for the first week of Muzzleloading season. My question is if you were going to take a week off in the Eastern U.S to hunt whitetail's with a Muzzleloader on about 3,000 acres of public hunting land, would you start off by still hunting the property with the wind in your favor, or simply hunt out of a climber? The property is new to me and I've scouted it briefly, but lack the confidence in knowing where to be when the rut comes in. Just wondering what others would do?
Old 10-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put stillhunt with the idea of doing it to learn the land and deer habits. I wouldn't hesitate to post up in a nearby blowdown if I came across a good trail intersection, funnel, saddle, etc.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
I put stillhunt with the idea of doing it to learn the land and deer habits. I wouldn't hesitate to post up in a nearby blowdown if I came across a good trail intersection, funnel, saddle, etc.
I agree. I usually hunt from a stand or blind but in that situation would consider finding a good place to sit somewhat concealed with the wind in your favor. Several people I know hunt like this all the time and never use a blind or stand and kill plenty of deer. My old neighbor killed a monster just sitting up against a big oak tree. He said the big buck just walked up on him out of nowhere....

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 10-29-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Spike

I'm in agreement with that. I saw 3 nice bucks in late Aug. and Sept. when the boys were staying in bachelor groups, and I foolishly started planning my stand locations around those areas, but I haven't seen them in a while. Not sure if it's because of all the other hunters coming in to scout and bow season in full swing? Or their food source has changed? My gut feeling tells me it's probably a little of that stuff plus their core areas are off the property? 2 of the bucks looked to be over 3.5 yrs. in age so I'm sure they know the deal with the property. maybe they got taken out? I doubt it, but it's possible. I'm thinkin that if I spend most of my time this year still hunting the property then maybe by next season I'll have some ideas on where the hot spots are.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I think it should depend

on whether the temp is hot or cold, and if the leaves are still on the trees. On the move, it's a good late chance to even find a new tree stand location.
I use a tree stand out of absolute necessity; those deer have the big edge when it's hot and seeing deer is difficult with the leaves on the trees.
And I use a climbing tree stand, so I'm not absolutely caught in one place and one place only. I just hate one sites, which seem to be in favor these days.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

treestand all the way, muzzleloader will buy you some time.

I think when you start moving around, you start moving too much, getting lazy etc... and deer will almost always see you before you see them, esp with a bow, a ML can help you get a chance, but I'd stick tot he treestand, better odds if you ask me.

If you get cold maybe then get out and stalk, but I think your odds are better from a stand at seeing more deer.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ah yes, still hunt'n....

I love to still hunt in bad weather. LOVE IT! I've had a tremendous amount of success! When weather is good, ya got to hole up somewhere, they will hear and see ya coming, you're in their living room. Now state land I treat different. I will never still hunt my private land no matter the weather. When it rains, i go to State land, put the wind in my face, and walk as quietly and slowly as possible, staying near the cover of trees or brush. This time of year get in the swamps and thick brush. Remember, even in inclement weather stealth is the key. This is why I own and use a Ghillie.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Neither. I hunt from a ground blind.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by warbirdlover
Neither. I hunt from a ground blind.
Really? are you saying that you would use a ground blind to hunt in the situation I'm talking about?