HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer with Weird racks
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 02:51 AM
Scottdnramember
Fork Horn

Default Deer with Weird racks

Any Biologists here? I have about 5 smaller bucks with weird racks mixed in with the ones with more normal racks. A basket rack 4 point with 3 on one side and a spike on the other, a Bigger 6 point with one high normal antler and one that sticks almost straight up, a spike with a 10" curved tine and a 2" spike.

These are all from trail cam pics and my question is, will these guys even out in time, or is this a genetic thing that should go? I have lots of seed bucks this year and a few big boys I hope to get a shot at. We fill the freezer with mostly does, so another advantage to these weirdos is they will attract buckshot from other area hunters who just want to shoot a buck and most of them only shoot a deer or two a year and then they will stay home and watch football. I am surrounded by at least a few that would shoot past a 160# doe to kill a 90# spike and at least one idiot who feels the need to toss #4 buck at anything he sees regardless of distance. I know this because I have shot 2 nice bucks with multiple #4 in them from nose to tail and I have a nice 8 pointer now that has two obvious buckshot wounds on one side.

Do I leave these deer as targets for the others or thin them out? (Yes, we have too many deer, that's one reason the 3 of us that hunt my little patch of land shoot mostly does.)

What's the real deal on odd rack deer?