Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lost Passion

Old 10-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

I been hunting for 13 years never once got to the point of wanting to give it up,been days i would be kicking and cussing my way back to the vehicle but I went home and slept it off and went back the next day.I would pry lose my mind if it wasnt for deer season I love being in the wilds sure beats setting around the house watching tv.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Spike

Default passion, no, but other motivations have happened

I am a beginner, got my first deer this week. Had been out 6 hunts before shooting that first one, and it was the third deer I had seen. Until that happened, I had started to worry, was this all a mistake, how many times would I accept being skunked before throwing in the towel. Now, a few days later, I am calmer and can reflect on where I am in the process. I don't feel the pressure, and can't say I feel a "passion," but it is more of a feeling of being at peace with it. I also noticed that I am less irritable with other activities I do, and am more able to "roll with it" when something frustrating happens in my life. That may turn out to be what will keep me coming out to hunt.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

seems like i get that way every few years.I usually find a way to keep it interesting depending on my mood that year.First few years with a bow I just wanted to kill a deer and anything would do.

Next couple years I made myself wait for a buck to keep it challenging.After that I made myself wait for a bigger buck than the year before.Finally I pretty much got rid of my stands and started hunting from the ground 90% of the time.Then I decided spot and stalk hunting might be fun so I did that for awhile and got good at it.Then I introduced mine and a couple other kids to deer hunting and was just as happy watching them bag thier first deer as i was shoting my own.

The last couple years I been to busy to get out as much as I like to.This year we got laid off early and I put a few stands out which is something I havent done in a lotta years now and Im just enjoying being out there.When the rut rolls around and the deer get moving good I will hit the ground again and try to kill my best buck to date at eye level with a bow.

Sometimes we turn it into to much work and focus soley on the kill, its part of it but shouldnt be the whole thing.Once I got rid of all the stands, blinds, and gadgets and focused more on the challenge it became fun again.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by petasux
seems like i get that way every few years.I usually find a way to keep it interesting depending on my mood that year.First few years with a bow I just wanted to kill a deer and anything would do.

Next couple years I made myself wait for a buck to keep it challenging.After that I made myself wait for a bigger buck than the year before.Finally I pretty much got rid of my stands and started hunting from the ground 90% of the time.Then I decided spot and stalk hunting might be fun so I did that for awhile and got good at it.Then I introduced mine and a couple other kids to deer hunting and was just as happy watching them bag thier first deer as i was shoting my own.

The last couple years I been to busy to get out as much as I like to.This year we got laid off early and I put a few stands out which is something I havent done in a lotta years now and Im just enjoying being out there.When the rut rolls around and the deer get moving good I will hit the ground again and try to kill my best buck to date at eye level with a bow.

Sometimes we turn it into to much work and focus soley on the kill, its part of it but shouldnt be the whole thing.Once I got rid of all the stands, blinds, and gadgets and focused more on the challenge it became fun again.
I think I'm headed in your direction my Brother Hunter, when I think upon my first Deer and how I got him I yearn for a less complicated hunt again. I have been encouraged to still hunt and simplify the process so I can enjoy all that attends a hunt by several on this thread. I think this may be what I need at this time instead of wearing myself out humping my climber and a lot of stuff I can leave in the truck.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mackesr
The only thing that slowed down my hunting was Pu$$y and/or chasing it. The older I get the less that seems to happen.....I dont know if that is good or bad. Bad for the deer I guess.
Man, that never slowed me down a bit! I just decided that I should take her with me, and it was one of the best decisions that I ever made. It only made my desire to hunt greater because the enjoyment that I get from taking someone new hunting is greater than hunting by myself. Since that time I have taken five other new hunters out, and each time my own interest in hunting increases, even though I never would have believed that I could enjoy hunting more that I did.