Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lost Passion

Old 10-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by doetrain
..... I've been out 1 time in the last 9 days and just don't seem interested at the present. Maybe a little longer away from it will help revive the passion. I guess I have lost focus on all the other aspects of hunting that make it a great time.
O.K.,you may be alittle burned out.Happens! Just remember-if the world doesn't fall apart first-one day you'll look back and remember all those days you could've,would've,should've.I think about those few times I've let slide.You'll be old one day and glad you have the memories so tighten up and enjoy it while you can.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

I have been going hunting or to the woods since I was 4 yo. I didnt shoot my first buck til I was 11. When we started in the 60s we would rarely kill a deer then in the 70s I finally shot my first buck a 4 pointer. Then I didnt shoot the next one til I was 15. All the while the passion for learning and being around hunting continued to burn. It was more about being with my dad, uncles and cousins it was truly a family event.

Now that I am 52 that fire still burns. I didnt shoot a buck last year, shot 3 the year before an 11 an 8 and a 9. This year I have passed on an 8 and a 9. You see to me the killing is such a small part of the experience a successful hunt doesnt mean I killed something. Passing a young 8 or a 9 to me is just as rewarding as killing a mature buck.

Like the saying says different strokes for different folks.

I understand that the youth of today want instant gratification. But deer hunting is not a video game.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Spike

doetrain... after reading your other post about the dogs and some of the troubles you are having with them. I think you are letting that problem along with spoiled hunts from it bring you down! Sometimes it's easy to get a little dragged down in life! I may be off base but just an observatioin!

Last edited by triglet; 10-26-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doetrain
I shot my first deer when I was 16, I am 47 now. Never missed a year deer hunting. During the season if I'm not working I will be in the woods. I believe my passion for deer hunting continues to grow not decline. Its something that I truly love to do. For me deer hunting is a year long process, by that I mean I plant soybeans during the spring and scout them during the summer to see what kind of bucks are feeding in them. I bowhunt, muzzleload, and rifle hunt deer. 15 years ago my wife started deerhunting with me and that was the best thing That could have happened. We spend more time together and she is now my hunting partner. I dont know what to tell you about losing your passion for hunting because I have never been in that situation before.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everyone for your encouragements and helpful viewpoints. I'm almost 56 and would like to think I am a very patient person who knows the meaning of hard work and the rewards it brings. I have had reasonable succes in my short hunting career with deer and turkey. I have pretty good private hunting areas which harbor a good amount of nice deer of which I have seen a good number this year. I have passed on several small Does because larger ones are in my areas,so it's not really a lack of Deer or good hunting locations. I guess I have let some of the disturbences the last 3 weeks anger me and frustrate me to the point that it has like I said got my focus on the negative realities that attend hunting at times. Nothing I have experienced is new,except the motorized parasail guy a few weeks ago,but they have all seemed to come in a consecutive manner. I hope to get out of my slump this weekend and stoke the flames which recently burned in my heart, thanks for your thougthful responses even though I may have needed a" few suck it up mister" and"get over it as well! I'll be the first to admit that at times I fall prey to a negative mind set which sours all of life,when this happens I reach out for support which my wife and all of you have all given. Thanks a bunch!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

DT - Have you tried still hunting at all, or do you just stand hunt? If you've never tried still hunting before, dig around a bit to find some articles/blogs about technique and give it a try. I think the change from sitting in a stand will make a difference for you. If you become tired during the hunt, just find a good tree stump nearby and sit awhile until you're ready to move again. Be slow, deliberate patient and observant (and always know the wind direction).
Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
DT - Have you tried still hunting at all, or do you just stand hunt? If you've never tried still hunting before, dig around a bit to find some articles/blogs about technique and give it a try. I think the change from sitting in a stand will make a difference for you. If you become tired during the hunt, just find a good tree stump nearby and sit awhile until you're ready to move again. Be slow, deliberate patient and observant (and always know the wind direction).
I enjoy still hunting or hunting on the ground more than stand hunting but must confess I'm a bit of a bull in the woods if you know what I mean. I have a heavy step at 5 foot 8,220 lbs. I do OK when snow is on the ground or when it is wet from an earlier rainfall like today here in Indiana. I hesitate to still hunt on public land due to the fear of messing up someones hunt,so I tree it when hunting there. But I might just give it a try this weekend because conditions look good for a still hunt. Good suggestion Brother,I'll keep it an option this weekend for sure.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Losing passion is a natural happening

With hunters they just disappear from the scene. I still hunt but lost my old passion for baseball and basketball. Haven't watch the world series in years. I use to golf and play tennis, but haven't in years.

The thing that appeals to me about hunting, is I do it. And I can do it alone. I rarely watch the professional TV hunters. Of course, I keep missing the chance to update my equipment and spend money. That spending money never appealed to me. I don't have any passion for spending money.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Spike

think of your dream hunt aim for that mine is hunting big horn in the rocky mt and everything right now is just getting the experience to make that one hunt count

rember there is more than one type of animal
Old 10-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

I'm in the same boat....this is my fourth year ever hunting and i havn't seen anything i can't shoot at....and to top it off i broke the gun i was using last year....and it wasn't mine...thnakfully it was only the butt that broke off so i paid the 110 it cost to fix it....but this year i've scouted more and I can hunt all three weekend plus a couple days here and there during the week so hopefully my patience pays off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.