Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

placing a stand

Old 08-12-2003, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default placing a stand

I have been out scouting once a week now. Not much has changed most of the summer. I have found alot of fairly used trails. I havent found really any beds. I am thinking with all the rain we have had this year. Once it rains the bed is ruined. Well I am going to hang my stands up in about a month. Now I leave them hung all season long. I have three stands that I am going to hang. My question is where should I hang my stands? There are two areas I know from past hunts that there has been a sign of a buck there. Just give me some good information on what I should be looking for and doing?
Old 08-12-2003, 07:56 PM

Default RE: placing a stand

If you have hunted there before you have a head start, hang stands where you have seen deer in the past. If you have seen does in a certain area before be there during the rut. Also if you know where there has been buck sign in previous years it should be there again. Also look for trees that have acorns on them or persimmons that may be falling this fall.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:15 PM

Default RE: placing a stand

like angus said if there was buck sign there the past couple of years that might be a good place to set up one morning or evening. but u sill have to scout out and look for rubs and scrapes and also look in the leaves to see if deer have been browsing there. but come opening mornin all ur scouting and preperation wont mean crap if u dont get ur wind right that is the key to killin deer cause if ur wind is wrong u could be sitting in the best spot in the world and not see a deer. well good luck