Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Need help placing camera >

Need help placing camera

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Need help placing camera

Old 08-13-2007, 06:02 AM

Default Need help placing camera

I've got a few questions. How high do yall normallyput yourcameras off the ground? Do you usually put any kind of a tilt on it? I think i had mine set to high lasttime.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:41 AM

Default RE: Need help placing camera

I put mine out around 30 inches high with a slight tilt down, and I get plenty of pics.

John
Old 08-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

My camera has a built-in laser that marks the center of the picture.

Sometimes I have to adjust the camera depending on the location. If Im on flat ground, then I set the camera about waist high, but if I want to take pictures looking down a hill, I put a stick behind the camera to angle it down. Ill also place the camera lower to the ground depending on how sloped the hill is, and how far away the deer trail/feeder is.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:07 AM

Yeh mine has a laser on it too. I was just wondering b/c i still think i'm putting it too high. I'll try and redo it after i go and check it.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 PM

If the ground is flat where you are putting it and it's flat where you think the deer will be standing then Put it about 4feet off the ground... I think most say to put it about 6ft off the ground with it angled down towards the ground a bit...I like mine about 3 to 4 ft off the ground where I put mine based on the ground.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:11 PM
OGW

I put mine at 4ft or close to that. I use the laser aiming to get it centered in the area I believe the deer will be. I did usea small section ofbaseboard to help angle the camera downward so I did not get a bunch of pic's of just the deers back. A simple way toaim the Camerais to turn it on, place your opened hand in front of it, and walk backwards away from the camera while keeping the red dot on your hand. You'll get a good idea which way the camera is actually aiming by doing this.
When I set my camera up in an area recently Ikicked some of the apples from a nearby tree into a small pile and made sure the red dot from the laser was about 1-1/2ft high over the center of that pile.
The first time I tried just "Eyeballing it"...I figured why not try turning on the laser to see where it's pointing.I turned on the laser and I had thecamera pointing slightly up and 6-7ft high @ 25ft[]
The camera looked like it was levelon the trunk of the treebut the tree was leaning slightly away from the direction the camera was pointed in.
Love the Laser Aiming

Old 08-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Fork Horn

My spy d-40 has a laser and is aimed at the lick that is on the tree and is 3 feet off the ground . Here's a picture from it.
Charlie