Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help! mosquitos!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help! mosquitos!

Hi guys. Due to all the rain in central VA we have unmerciful mosquitoes to deal with this year where I hunt. I hunt a small patch of land whwere human scent is not normally an issue but of course bugs spray is not normal in the area I don't think.

Problem is without some kind of effective protection, being still is impossible kuch less quiet.

What are some good ideas to deal with this? If I have to , I load up with DEET anyway and hope for the best. I even thought of spraying a couple cans all through the area to get the deer used to it.

Thoughts????
Old 09-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Try this,

http://www.best-price.com/search/lan...Feh25Qod1EmuOA

http://www.off.com/ClipOn.aspx

Good Luck
Old 09-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

I've seen them but was a little skeptical. Do they work?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

mosquitos need the iron in your blood to reproduce, and they see you by the carbon monoxide your body emits... I doubt youll be able to get rid of them, I climb pretty high in my climber and dont see them till it gets a little darker in the evening. Maybe hunt away from standing water as thats where they are breeding...?" Might even look into netting to get partially under?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Spike

just get a thermocell. They work great
Old 09-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

I just try to cover everything, which can be a pain in this warm early season. I forgot my gloves on Saturday evening and my hands are all bit up now. But I can usually manage to cover everything and be ok. I hunt in a swampy area, it gets unbearable if you have exposed skin.
-Jake
Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a Thermacell to use for hunting and they work so well that when we eat out on the Deck my wife will ask me to get my thermacell so we can eat supper outside in peace! They work.

CVG Ohio
Old 09-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by xGREENx
just get a thermocell. They work great

Agreed. ThermaCELL's site is new this year too.
http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent

Don't use spray on Scott!!!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

I use bug spray when its bad out. Im in delaware so i definitely feel your pain! I spray before I go into the woods. I hunt pretty high up and Im not out in the middle of nowhere. I say this because I believe when you hunt somewhat near houses, deer become accustomed to human scents and even if something is off(no pun intended) they attribute that to the house. Ive never really had a deer spook when I had bug spray, at least that Ive noticed and they still come around. Now if your hunting in no mans land, then maybe not such a great idea. Im not saying that scent wont spook deer, but I think a lot of people get hung up on all these products and think they have to be scent free. It has a lot more to do with hunting the wind than anything in my opinion. Just like some guys have that detergent to wash their clothes. I dont go out smelling like GQ but Ive been hunting before and smelled laundry coming from peoples house. just food for thought. Some of my buddies harvest their share every year and they are mr natural smelling rank fellas!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a thermacell.. they work!

We take them to minnesota with us to bear hunt and the mosquitoes up there are big as birds!! and it keeps them away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.