Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Change in the wind?

Old 08-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Spike

Default Change in the wind?

How do you handle a change in the wind when your hunting? For example, your all set up in your stand, its prime time and the wind changes directions, what do you do?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

the wind shifts all the time where we hunt....usin the thermals is your best bet...above the trail in the morning, and below it at night.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the wind is wrong, I won't hunt that tree. Once the deer know you're there, the jig is up for that stand. If I have time, I'll get down and move to a better location. Could be a tree on the other side of the trail. Or just get down and leave. I'll hunt that stand another night when the wind is right.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Kind of depends. I mostly hunt public land with a fair amount of pressue on it, so I suspect the deer smell some human odor frequently. I set my stands up keeping the prevailing winds in mind. If the winds aren't right in the morning, I will alter my plans. Once I'm up there though, I'm staying. No. 1, if the winds are shifting, they could shift again. No. 2, I take steps to minimize my odor, so, though less than ideal, I rely on those.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is why I believe it is important to be as scent free as possible. I know it's impossible to be totally scent free, but every ounce of protection could make the difference in going home empty handed or not. I've said this before and I'll say it again, the wind rarely blows in the same direction all day. Most winds are variable. It could be blowing from the south one minute, and from the east the next. There is not much you can do when the wind decides to change directions. If it's a steady prevalent wind, let's say a north wind, then I will try to hunt a stand that better suits that wind. If I'm already in the stand and the wind changes, I'll just stay put. I know I've done my best to be as scent free as possible. I've had many deer walk right by me downwind and never knew I was there. I've also been busted many times, but not as much as I would have if I hadn't used scent control. Scent free soap, detergent, Arm & Hammer deodorant, and rubbing natural weeds on my clothing. This is my routine.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:56 AM
Spike

If the wind has changed direction I will move if its my best spot. If it keeps changing direction I hunt an area where deer might come from any direction.Being scent free means you didnt wear your hunting boots to pump gas in.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:37 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

If I am in a tree stand, I go home if the wind switches wrong and stays that way (more or less). I have had the best success when the wind was not variable. In an enclosed blind, I might do a little better.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a climber almost esclusively. If the wind direction changes so that where I am watching is downwind after I am set up, I usually try to stay in the same area and move to another tree where the breeze direction is OK. I have at times simply rotated on the same tree so that the wind became in my favor again. This is especially true when I am hunting a big creek bottom where the deer trails are numerous. If I cannot relocate in the same general area, I totally relocate or go home.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

i hate ta be a stick in the mud...but aint that what a climber is for, to have your scent go over the top of the deer when the wind blows?
i have had deer come right at me from down wind and never seen me, walk right on by. (when in a tree stand)
granite, if you are in a tree, and to one direction of you is land as high as you are, then thats basically being on the ground. imo
Old 08-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

HB,

I agree entirely, so many deer come down the trails dead downwind and don't give us a look or a thought for that matter. Then again, all of our stands are at least 25 feet or higher.