Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

slug gun question?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default slug gun question?

hey guys i dont know much at all about slugs, etc. I have a 20gauge turkey barrel on my encore and i want to shoot some slugs thru it so i got some questions. The barrel has a screw in choke, and the manual says dont shoot the gun without the choke in--can i shoot a slug thru that choke too? Also ive read how accurate some of these new slugs are, are they accurate out of a regular smooth bore barrel? which ones do you recommend?
thanks
Old 04-15-2011, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use an "Improved Cylinder" or "Skeet" tube for your gun when shooting slugs. Most guns will shoot slugs quite well with that combination. My pump 12 ga. will shoot Brennecke slugs into 4" at 100 yd. with just an IC tube. But I'm talking about the old "rifled" slugs. Your gun probably won't shoot the new saboted slugs that you're referring to, well. They're designed to be shot through a rifled barrel. If you want use those, it's best to just get a rifled slug barrel.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Use an "Improved Cylinder" or "Skeet" tube for your gun when shooting slugs. Most guns will shoot slugs quite well with that combination. My pump 12 ga. will shoot Brennecke slugs into 4" at 100 yd. with just an IC tube. But I'm talking about the old "rifled" slugs. Your gun probably won't shoot the new saboted slugs that you're referring to, well. They're designed to be shot through a rifled barrel. If you want use those, it's best to just get a rifled slug barrel.
agreed... but if you want accuracy.. buy a rifled slug barrel and buy some hornady sst slugs....... out of my h&r ultra slugger.. .75 inch 3 shot groups at 100 and 2 inch groups at 200... sighted in 2.5 inch high at 100 i am about dead on at 150 and a little under 9 low at 200.. best of luck with the slug gun
Old 04-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

i should have mentioned this is a t/c encore barrel. I dont think i can get any other chokes for it, in the manual it says dont trade out chokes, only use the turkey barrel choke in it (dont know if there is a safety reason to that or its marketing). I dont want to goto a rifled slug barrel because i want to be able to shoot regular shot shells too. Basically im trying to make a do-it-all fall gun, where i could carry 3 different types of shells with me when i go out hunting, and either shoot turkey, small game, or deer when i run across them.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

i use modified choke.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

IC,M,& F for foster type slugs, brenekes are harder so id go as tight as M. I would not use a turkey choke for slugs. you could also get a rifled choke and use some sabots like lightfield. also make sure you barrel is not backbored.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Banned

yes it is for marketing that they say dont change out chokes and never fire a slug through a turkey choke. and these guys sayin use mod and full. dont do that either. any time you use one of those chokes you risk splitting your barrel. the best choke to use with foster type slugs is cylinder. hence the reason that all smooth bore slug barrels are cylinder. meaning there is no constriction. as you do not need constriction on a slug. the next best is the improved cylinder. anything beyond I.C will distort the slug and while you may and plenty of people have killed deer and been able to get decent groups with mod and full it is a poor choice to use them.i have seen 3 barrels split from such acts. one was a mod barrel the other 2 were full choked.... do not use them for slugs.. if it was safe then the gun companies would make a full choked slug barrel or a mod but they dont.. bottom line it is up to you to choose but an encore barrel is pretty expensive to replace should something bad happen.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

ok good stuff guys, i appreciate the input. Ill try and find another choke that works with my barrel
Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by snapper1982
yes it is for marketing that they say dont change out chokes and never fire a slug through a turkey choke. and these guys sayin use mod and full. dont do that either. any time you use one of those chokes you risk splitting your barrel. the best choke to use with foster type slugs is cylinder. hence the reason that all smooth bore slug barrels are cylinder.wrong, older remington smoothbore, rifle sighted, slug barrels are IC meaning there is no constriction. as you do not need constriction on a slug. the next best is the improved cylinder. anything beyond I.C will distort the slug and while you may and plenty of people have killed deer and been able to get decent groups with mod and full it is a poor choice
I disagree, the grooves on the sides of "rifled slugs" are actually to allow constriction, in fact,IME slugs will shoot better with a tighter choke than a open one. My 1957 ithaca w/28" lightweight MOD barrel will throw slugs quite nicely. I got good results using a Full choked 20ga and rem sluggers w/ no "splitting" whatsoever, now if we were talking heavy steel shot maybe but not lead.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 04-15-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:40 AM
Fork Horn

Scotty, you should have your super full turkey choke in now......You been out yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.