HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - slug gun question?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 PM
DeerandbearhoG
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by snapper1982
yes it is for marketing that they say dont change out chokes and never fire a slug through a turkey choke. and these guys sayin use mod and full. dont do that either. any time you use one of those chokes you risk splitting your barrel. the best choke to use with foster type slugs is cylinder. hence the reason that all smooth bore slug barrels are cylinder.wrong, older remington smoothbore, rifle sighted, slug barrels are IC meaning there is no constriction. as you do not need constriction on a slug. the next best is the improved cylinder. anything beyond I.C will distort the slug and while you may and plenty of people have killed deer and been able to get decent groups with mod and full it is a poor choice
I disagree, the grooves on the sides of "rifled slugs" are actually to allow constriction, in fact,IME slugs will shoot better with a tighter choke than a open one. My 1957 ithaca w/28" lightweight MOD barrel will throw slugs quite nicely. I got good results using a Full choked 20ga and rem sluggers w/ no "splitting" whatsoever, now if we were talking heavy steel shot maybe but not lead.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 04-15-2011 at 07:29 PM.