Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

slug gun question?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

hey there rlp. Due to work i havent had a chance, but im going next week. How about you? ive heard the toms arent really fired up yet?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I disagree, the grooves on the sides of "rifled slugs" are actually to allow constriction, in fact,IME slugs will shoot better with a tighter choke than a open one. My 1957 ithaca w/28" lightweight MOD barrel will throw slugs quite nicely. I got good results using a Full choked 20ga and rem sluggers w/ no "splitting" whatsoever, now if we were talking heavy steel shot maybe but not lead.
no i am sorry buddy you are wrong the "groves" as you call them are actually the reason that they are called rifled slugs and it is in fact rifling added to the slug to stabilize it in flight. they are not to allow constriction and i have never found or heard of a remington slug barrel with ic choke (however i have been wrong in the past) but all that does is say that i am right in the fact that they do not want you to shoot anything over ic.. anyt constriction will distort the rifling and can cause the slug to not fly right.. if they shoot better with a tighter choke then the gun companies would make them with tighter chokes but they do not for a reason and that is because the possibility is there that bad things can happen. i have seen many guys shoot out of mod chokes and full chokes and have only seen 3 split so i am not sayin that it deff will happen but it is a possibility that does not exsist if you shoot slugs as they should be shot.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by snapper1982
no i am sorry buddy you are wrong the "groves" as you call them are actually the reason that they are called rifled slugs and it is in fact rifling added to the slug to stabilize it in flight. they are not to allow constriction and i have never found or heard of a remington slug barrel with ic choke here ya go http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=225133594 (however i have been wrong in the past) but all that does is say that i am right in the fact that they do not want you to shoot anything over ic.. anyt constriction will distort the rifling and can cause the slug to not fly right.. if they shoot better with a tighter choke then the gun companies would make them with tighter chokes but they do not for a reason and that is because the possibility is there that bad things can happen. there doesnt need to be alot of constriction, but that has been my exp. that tighter choke throw slugs more consistently, especially w/ fosters(sluggers), they are very soft/hollow and squeeze down easily, the brenekes are harder, but Ive even fired them, from a siaga full choked 12ga w/ no problem,, todays shotgun barrels are built to withstand heavy steel shot, so lead aint gonna hurt them, once I forgot to take my turkey choke outta my browning and fired #2 steel through it, I was lucky but even then, nothing happened i have seen many guys shoot out of mod chokes and full chokes and have only seen 3 split so i am not sayin that it deff will happen but it is a possibility that does not exsist if you shoot slugs as they should be shot.
That is what you have always believed but you, like many others are wrong , here read and learn. (scrool down to where it says wild hog hunter, and read the info below http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 04-16-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Banned

you did get lucky that your choke didnt split. but just because you have not had a problem does not mean that someone else wont. and i did read what you asked sounds like it may be true but i dont see any tests to prove what he says. bottom line is if slugs were ment to be fired out of constriction ALL slug barrels would have it and not just a few barrels manufactured years ago.. we could go on and on and back and forth about this but truly i dont want to. you have your ways and they obviously work for you and i have rifled barrels and sabots and dont worry about choke or weather i can kill the deer standing at 200 yards.. best of luck for you
Old 04-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by snapper1982
you did get lucky that your choke didnt split.that was steel I was talking about, lead aint gonna hurt nothin but just because you have not had a problem does not mean that someone else wont. and i did read what you asked sounds like it may be true but i dont see any tests to prove what he says. bottom line is if slugs were ment to be fired out of constriction ALL slug barrels would have it and not just a few barrels manufactured years ago.. we could go on and on and back and forth about this but truly i dont want to. you have your ways and they obviously work for you and i have rifled barrels and sabots and dont worry about choke or weather i can kill the deer standing at 200 yards.. best of luck for you
To be honest, I dont even hang with slugs these days, I use my savage smokeless muzzleloader, 250gr shockwave @ a cronied 2350fps, no sluggun can touch it, and w/ alot less recoil. Ive killed most of my gun deer the past few years w/ it.

Also, check out the book "shotgunning for deer" by dave henderson, great read for shotty users
Old 04-17-2011, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot a remmington 20ga. with rifled barrel and sabot slugs. It shoots 3-4 in groups for me at 100yds with the open sights on it. I would have to say that's pretty good shooting with lugs and iron sights.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Spike

Default Do not use Hornady SST for hunting.

If all you want is accuracy on card board use Hornady SST. If you want to take animals do not use this round, yes it has great accuracy but unless you are spot on through there hearts you will not get the animal. This round leaves the smallest holes imaginable. There is almost no expansion of the round on medium to small games Deer, Coyote. The round will do a straight pass through with out ever thinking about opening. If you want to hunt Deer, Coyote, or any other medium game animal do not use this round use something like the (highly recommend this round) Lightfield EXP hybrids these rounds leave massive wound channels and the animal will drop within feet of impact, brenneke, Remington slugger, or the Remington accutip. All of those rounds will dispatch the animal quickly and humanly. If on the other hand you a cruel mean SOB by all means use the high accurate ineffective Hornady SST and leave the smallest wound channel possible. And yes i hate Hornady SST rounds for this very reason i depended on them during a hunt once and got burned shot a deer in the lungs with one and tracked the animal for close to 5 miles finding very little blood in a lot of place and a lot of blood in pools this means the wound channel was not great enough to dispatch the animal very effectively the animal suffered and was found dead two weeks later. I will never buy hornady SST round, or shoot Hornady SST rounds at another living thing ever again the Hornady SST round is great for target practicing but if you really want to take an animal you should really get a round that is designed to do so and in my opinion that round is the Lightfield EXP hybrid series of rounds i have used this round in the field and when it hits it leaves a mark. and in my case the round dropped the animal where it stood.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:41 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

If u can some day get a fully rifled barrel, you love it, only problem it takes a little while to find out what slug the gun likes. I shoot a 870 fully rifled and it likes hornday sst's, i've shot deer out to about a 135 yards.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SavageArms
If all you want is accuracy on card board use Hornady SST. If you want to take animals do not use this round, yes it has great accuracy but unless you are spot on through there hearts you will not get the animal. This round leaves the smallest holes imaginable. There is almost no expansion of the round on medium to small games Deer, Coyote. The round will do a straight pass through with out ever thinking about opening. If you want to hunt Deer, Coyote, or any other medium game animal do not use this round use something like the (highly recommend this round) Lightfield EXP hybrids these rounds leave massive wound channels and the animal will drop within feet of impact, brenneke, Remington slugger, or the Remington accutip. All of those rounds will dispatch the animal quickly and humanly. If on the other hand you a cruel mean SOB by all means use the high accurate ineffective Hornady SST and leave the smallest wound channel possible. And yes i hate Hornady SST rounds for this very reason i depended on them during a hunt once and got burned shot a deer in the lungs with one and tracked the animal for close to 5 miles finding very little blood in a lot of place and a lot of blood in pools this means the wound channel was not great enough to dispatch the animal very effectively the animal suffered and was found dead two weeks later. I will never buy hornady SST round, or shoot Hornady SST rounds at another living thing ever again the Hornady SST round is great for target practicing but if you really want to take an animal you should really get a round that is designed to do so and in my opinion that round is the Lightfield EXP hybrid series of rounds i have used this round in the field and when it hits it leaves a mark. and in my case the round dropped the animal where it stood.
I feel to differ. If, as you say, got burned by shooting a deer in the lungs and tracked it 5 miles, then you did not hit the lungs!!!! It is impossible for a deer, or any other animal for that matter, to continue to live with its lungs hit by a slug. You may have hit just one lung, or missed the lungs completely and hit the stomach, but not both lungs.
Yes, I shoot the Horn. SST's in a 50cal inline and have taken 27 deer, and over 50 hogs with the SST and have yet to track one over 125 yds much less loose one, not to mention track one for 5 miles!!!!! How could you have possibly tracked it for so far with such little spore? I agree with the not opening as large as several other rounds on the market, but if you put it where it needs to be and TRULY hit both lungs, your track job will be done from the stand alone!!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 05-01-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
I feel to differ. If, as you say, got burned by shooting a deer in the lungs and tracked it 5 miles, then you did not hit the lungs!!!! It is impossible for a deer, or any other animal for that matter, to continue to live with its lungs hit by a slug. You may have hit just one lung, or missed the lungs completely and hit the stomach, but not both lungs.
Yes, I shoot the Horn. SST's in a 50cal inline and have taken 27 deer, and over 50 hogs with the SST and have yet to track one over 125 yds much less loose one, not to mention track one for 5 miles!!!!! How could you have possibly tracked it for so far with such little spore? I agree with the not opening as large as several other rounds on te market, but if you put it where it needs to be and TRULY hit both lungs, your track job will be done from the stand alone!!!!!
I agree, personally Id prefer the larger/slower lead sabot slugs, to the sst but the 12ga version is a 300gr .50cal bullet ! a deer aint goin far w/ a hole like that through its front half. I use the 250gr .452 sst/shockwave in my savageML, makes a nasty mess!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.