Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed hunting tips?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Habitat brings up alot of good points,although I've never thought of useing a canoe but it does peak my interest.
This yr was a very large mast crop in the areas I hunt so the 1st places I'm going to search is acorn flats all the trails going to and coming from however I dont believe the deer will be bedded very far from the food source so your going to bump them as long as you dont chase them everything will be alright but keep in mind they are very stressed this time of yr.
I'm also going to concentrate on the areas that get the most sunlight edges of clearcuts,gas line,powerline right of ways the north side gets the most light take acompass& good binos.Dont look for the whole antler look for parts of it.Walk slow turn around often and search your back trail.
If you find a shed especially a big 1 start circleing around it in ever larger circles you might find the other side.When a buck loose 1 side its head feels lop sided and it will try to knock the other side off.Over the yrs I hav'nt found very many sheds at fence crossings thats not to say I
dont still check them I do just hav'nt had a lot of luck there.
Try and think like a big ole buck.You've been chaseing does hard ,people have been trying to kill you.Your worn out and exhausted ,your half starved now all you want to do is eat, rest, lick your wounds ,stay as warm as possible and use as little energy as possible.
sure hope this helps
Old 02-27-2011, 04:53 AM
Spike

Oldshedhunter35, you hit the nail on the head. An important key is to think like a big buck.

I love to look in tallgrass prairie. Switchgrass, bluestems, and other thermal cover has been great to me over the years. By "thermal cover", I mean cover that gives off heat and blocks wind on a sunny day, especially if there is snow on the ground.

Deer also seem to like to die in prairie habitat. I found one a week ago(pics are in another thread). Looks like I can finally cross "crab claw ten" off the hit list. Bad deal, just glad to know where he went. Ironically, he was dead in an old pioneer cemetery, which is less than 1/8th of an acre. It is one of the nicest prairies that I know of, just small. Probably some of the best thermal cover in five miles. Looked fairly fresh (within two months).

Good luck, and get out there! There are some sheds on the ground. We have found several in the past week. There are a few still packing. So far the ratio of antlers/antlerless for me is around 4/200 (including does).

Happy shedding!

Last edited by Habitat86; 02-27-2011 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Spike

good thread! I'm hoping to get out this year and do some shed hunting as well. never knew that squirrels eat the antlers. always wondered why i had never come across sheds when i've been out and about. there are some great tips here. now all I need is the snow to melt.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Spike

Put some time into this thread, and I know it is the time of year that people will be looking for advise. Therefore I will give a recent tip and bump this thread up.

#13 - Look in thickets. Look for browsing on sapling buds. Thickets seem to be a hotspot this year between me and a few buddies.

So far, we have collectively found over 40, not counting dead bucks. They are/were browsing on any buds they can reach. Im guessing because of the snow/ice covering the ag fields for a month before it thawed a couple of weeks ago. Still a few packing, but it seems like many have dropped.

So hit the local thick spots and walk slow!

Happy shedding and Good luck!

P.S. Attached - picture of the crab claw 10 in 2009 (3 1/2) and picture of him dead in late Feb. 2011 (4 1/2)
Was a 6x5 las season, broke off 4 tines. With the tines I would guess him in the upper 160s. Cant get my fingers around the bases.
Attached Thumbnails Shed hunting tips?-deadbuck2011.jpg   Shed hunting tips?-crabclaw10.jpg  
Old 03-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Spike

Thnaks for the tips, Im planning on going this weekend.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

FYI - I went hunting for sheds in NOVA sunday in a park where I have seen a lot of bucks; I did see one pair of 8 point antlers - they were still on the deers head as he was running away.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow Habitat86...that was a very nice Buck...its a shame to find them dead like that!

I found a nice 10-Pointer dead on our Farm last year,I had a long history with him of trail camera pictures and had Bow Hunted him for 2 years.I ended up taking the head/rack into my Taxidermist and he Re-Caped him and mounted him in his former Glory...he's hanging on my Log wall right now!

As a Member mentioned in an earlier reply....put out a trail camera and by watching and checking it You know for sure that the Bucks have dropped their Antlers and You don't end up chasing them onto the Neighbors Property by leaving Your scent all around looking for antlers when they are in fact.....still on the Deer! I have been keeping my Trail Camera's out year round,the Bucks still had the Antlers as of Feb 26 so I have an idea that they should be dropping any time within the month of March!