HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shed hunting tips?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 06:50 PM
oldshedhunter35
Fork Horn

Habitat brings up alot of good points,although I've never thought of useing a canoe but it does peak my interest.
This yr was a very large mast crop in the areas I hunt so the 1st places I'm going to search is acorn flats all the trails going to and coming from however I dont believe the deer will be bedded very far from the food source so your going to bump them as long as you dont chase them everything will be alright but keep in mind they are very stressed this time of yr.
I'm also going to concentrate on the areas that get the most sunlight edges of clearcuts,gas line,powerline right of ways the north side gets the most light take acompass& good binos.Dont look for the whole antler look for parts of it.Walk slow turn around often and search your back trail.
If you find a shed especially a big 1 start circleing around it in ever larger circles you might find the other side.When a buck loose 1 side its head feels lop sided and it will try to knock the other side off.Over the yrs I hav'nt found very many sheds at fence crossings thats not to say I
dont still check them I do just hav'nt had a lot of luck there.
Try and think like a big ole buck.You've been chaseing does hard ,people have been trying to kill you.Your worn out and exhausted ,your half starved now all you want to do is eat, rest, lick your wounds ,stay as warm as possible and use as little energy as possible.
sure hope this helps