HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shed hunting tips?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 04:53 AM
Habitat86
Spike

Oldshedhunter35, you hit the nail on the head. An important key is to think like a big buck.

I love to look in tallgrass prairie. Switchgrass, bluestems, and other thermal cover has been great to me over the years. By "thermal cover", I mean cover that gives off heat and blocks wind on a sunny day, especially if there is snow on the ground.

Deer also seem to like to die in prairie habitat. I found one a week ago(pics are in another thread). Looks like I can finally cross "crab claw ten" off the hit list. Bad deal, just glad to know where he went. Ironically, he was dead in an old pioneer cemetery, which is less than 1/8th of an acre. It is one of the nicest prairies that I know of, just small. Probably some of the best thermal cover in five miles. Looked fairly fresh (within two months).

Good luck, and get out there! There are some sheds on the ground. We have found several in the past week. There are a few still packing. So far the ratio of antlers/antlerless for me is around 4/200 (including does).

Happy shedding!

Last edited by Habitat86; 02-27-2011 at 04:56 AM.