Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
This big ol storm and goin hunting? >

This big ol storm and goin hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This big ol storm and goin hunting?

Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default This big ol storm and goin hunting?

So im guessing most of you have already or is getting hit by this huge snow/ice storm comeing from the west. But how many of you are still planning on goin hunting out in it? Not sure if the deer will be moving rite away or not since here in ohio its lasting 3 days or so. Im heading out wit the bow and blind so at least the wind dosnt freeze me to death, and if i can get my mini heater goin that will make it even better out there.
Well was just curious how many hunters would still go out in bad storm knowing that they most likely wont see anything.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

well huntin seasons closed up here in tucky,but i would wait for it to stop and look for bedding deer.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most likely the deer will not be moving until the storm lets up. There is a chance that some predator will get some deer moving however. I do not think I would be bothering them until after the storm though. Like stated before up here deer season is not open anyways. But the last thing I would be doing is going out and breaking up a deer yard right now. This storm will only add to problems facing our deer herd up here as they already have enough snow to cause problems anyhow.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have went out before a big storm and after one Hunting,the Deer will be moving and eating before and after and Your chances of getting one are probably pretty good.Our Hunting Season is over but I plan on going out and throwing a little corn down for the Deer,checking my trail camera's and doing some Coyote Hunting...this is when they are really hungry and food can be scarce so calling them in is so much easier and You can see them moving much better when there's a nice thick/deep layer of snow on the ground!

We actually got more Freezing Rain here in Southeast Missouri,then it started snowing later on and we have a nice white blanket of snow on top of the ice...Yikes!!
I have to be careful because we have a lot of tree limbs snapping off and falling at a moments notice so it can be pretty dangerous if the wind picks up the limbs can't take the pressure and added movement and my yard looks like a War Zone with busted limbs covered with ice laying all around!I'm sure its going to be twice as dangerous out in the Woods and big timber with old tree limbs breaking off and falling from 20-30 feet up and more!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 02-02-2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Well i went out this morning since this storm as cleared up alot, just been snowing all day. And the deer were moving like crazy! Saw at least 20 while sitting in the stand, then jumped a lot while come out of the woods.
I wasnt really planning on shooting anything, iv already killed my monster buck and 2 does, i still hav a doe tag left, i just went out to just watch the wildlife to see wat they do on a day like this. I did take the bow tho just in case i changed my mind on shooting something. The wind was a killer out there, that was the only thing that made it so cold. And ya there were alot of branches falling out there, You would here one fall every time a good burst of wind came threw. But it made it a awsome morning of just sitting out there.