Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Timing

Old 07-23-2003, 11:44 AM

Default Timing

Thanks for the replies on tree stand locations. Now I have a question again. The last couple of days I have been scouting my woods out, and deciding on some locations for my tree stands. Is it worth starting to put up some stands now, or shall I wait until a week or so before Sept??

I would imagine that deer are alot like fish. By this I mean, they work on seasonal patterns and move accordingly. With the corn still in should I wait a little bit longer. I guess I kind of have the itch to do something with deer hunting.

Also how well do deer like apples? I would think they would like the sweetness. I found a apple tree on the edge of a birch tree line and fenceline. Thought it might be a decent location. Also right across the fence is a corn field. Any thoughts??
Old 07-23-2003, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Timing

If you aren' t worried about someone stealing your stands I would go ahead and place them now. It seems you have good feeding areas, just try to pick out the old trails and try to focus on the areas that have a lot of rubs and old scrape areas close by.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would wait until the end of the summer to determine if the deer are beginning their change to Autumn feeding patterns. It would be a waste of time and energy to put up stands now in an area I have not hunted, in hopes that the deer will still be using that area come hunting season. My experience says change will be forthcoming.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

The sooner you get your stands placed, the more time the deer will have to get used to them being there. So if it is a good spot and your stands are safe, by all means put them up now.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:34 AM

I usually find several good stand sites and clear shooting lanes well before season starts.
I then go out a week or two before season and put up my tree stand If the deer are still frequenting that area.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:56 AM

Hey guys,
I have another question. How often do you think, deer relate to old scrape and rub lines in the woods? Will they come back to them the next year??

Freeder
Old 07-24-2003, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Freeder, deer will scrape the exact same spots year after year. When those deer are gone, others will take their place too! So if you find a good scrape line, odds are that the scrapes will be there again!
Old 07-24-2003, 10:20 PM

i would start placing them now and gettin them cleared of shooting lanes so you give the deer more time to calm down and get used to it being there also that location with the fenceline and apple tree sounds great to me the deer should eat one or the other during archery season so i would try puttin it closeby