Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer and pears?

Old 07-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Deer and pears?

I was scouting out a new place and found an old pear tree with a good deal of fruit on it. I am not sure what the proper name of these pears are, but we call them " keeper" pears. Okay now for the questions:

1. Do deer eat pears? I know they love apples & persimmons.

2. Do they wait until the fruit is ripe or will they eat it green? Right now these pears are hard as a rock, far from being ripe.

And just in case TR shows up over hear I will throw in some sarcasm that he enjoys, I asked on TR' s tips and he didn' t have an answer!!!!![]

Okay now in TR' s defense, I admire anyone who doesn' t try to blow smoke up my rear end, he answered that he imagined they would like them once they started to sweeten up, but he wasn' t familiar with deer and pears!

See TR I am not all that bad![>:]
Old 07-23-2003, 10:20 AM

Default RE: Deer and pears?

We have a few apple and pear trees in the back yard of the house we' re renting. The guys on the farm told me that the deer would come up in the yard and eat from both types of trees when they start to get ripe. We had such a dry year last year that there was no fruit so I haven' t actually seen it for myself yet. But there are a ton of pears on the trees this year so I' ll let you know.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Guarantee that they love pears. Most of the ones around here are what we call pineapple pears, they are large, hard and are usually used for pear preserves. Anyway when they start hitting the ground the deer come to them.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I posed this question on the bow hunting thead and it looks like the pears are going to be a good thing, what you all call pineapple pears we call keeper pears, at least what you are describing sounds like a keeper.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:37 PM

where i hunt in de there is a pear tree and i would have to say that the deer werent killin it. the first time that i came on it, there was fruit everywhere. there are alot of persimmons, bean and such. it shocked me that there werent tearing into it. i might try hunting it this year a couple of days. when do they fall off the tree??
Old 07-29-2003, 05:37 PM

TAZ,

To be honest I am not too sure. As far as seeing any pear trees in general when I hunt? I can say this though, Up in Chadolm AL. a good friend of mines dad used to cut up pear and apples to toss out for the deer and sure enough they came.

Now, was it the apples with the pears? But, they ate all of the fruit.

I would say that yes they will eat pear, and more than likely they will wait until it is ripe.

Good luck...
Old 07-29-2003, 07:38 PM

We have some Pear trees in the neighbor' s timber. I think t hey were originally tame but have gone wild. Usually after a frost, they will soften up and sweeten, similiar to Persimmons. When they do, Every animal that will eat fruit will zero in on them. Deer are no exception.
Russ