Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rookie Hunter needs advice

Old 11-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

for a rifle, i really do suggest a marlin xl7 or xs7, same model just with different calibers like the xl7 have long calibers while the xs7 has short calibers. i have a .270 xl7 and man does it shoot well! it was 300$, you can get it in synthetic or wooden, but seriously check it out. marlins been around for ever and makes wonderful guns!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Dominant Buck

If you are strictly going after deer only...no turkeys or small game than I agree with the choice of the 270..

I purchased one last summer from Walmart..Remington model 700 ..It's a tack driver..very seroius..and you can shoot deer from any range. My rifle cost about 350.00 ...how ever I bought a 250.00 scope..{ -;
When I said 870 12 guage I was presuming you'd be hunting turkey and small game as well. ..and you were on a tight budget.You don't have to be rich to hunt..

I remember back when I started ....

I scouted...built a make shift platform in a tree....wore my regular old clothes..no scents , calls, range finders or nothing..deer walked by BOOM! end of story. One of the things about being on a forum is that the power of suggestion is VERY POWERFUL...thus the reason why all the pop up ads you see here..I have been here for 5 years and have bought a lot of stuff..just from reading these threads...most of the stuff I really didn't need. } -; ...mostly extra fishing rods..} -;

Last edited by Chuck7; 11-23-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by steve25
If I was buying a new deer rifle right now I would have to go with the Savage edge package price is around $275-350 for a .270.
I second that. I've not paid over 350.00 for a rifle, and cannot see doing so. I've shot many many deer with my mossberg 06, which i got for 270.00 and my nef 12gauge shotgun, i got for 100.00. No need to spend an arm and a leg for a rifle. I bought my Mountaineer archery bow for 150.00 used. And spend about 100.00 for a wiskerbiscut and fiber optic sights. If the gun/bow shoots, and your hitting your mark, the deer will expire.