Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Did the research, its a melanistic fawn on my lease >

Did the research, its a melanistic fawn on my lease

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Did the research, its a melanistic fawn on my lease

Old 11-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Spike

Default Did the research, its a melanistic fawn on my lease

A while back I shared something I caught on one of my trail cams. At first I thought it was a dog, or some other kind of animal, as I know the location the picture was taken and there is nothing to have cast such a dark shadow on the fawn.

I did some research and Im 99% sure its a "melanistic fawn". 5 times more rare than an albino and much more than a piebald. Im priviledged to have this animal on my land, now Im curious if it was a buck or not, and how much Bass Pro Shop would pay me for it as a full bodied mount if harvested...just kidding, but it would make a great body mount, regardless of it being a buck or doe.

The photographer that took the "real" picture says he has been taking picture of deer in the wild for 30 years and has never encountered one. A few stories have surfaced of hunters harvesting one, but most were in texas and I believe one was in Michigan, I believe.

A cool story I thought I would share. Take a look at the last deer in line of these coming from a trail that leads to a creek and swamp area. Its the only logical explanation I can come up with unless you have a different opinion. Please share!

The photographers only picture in 30 years of photographing deer in the wild.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

very cool...
Old 11-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

I bet they would pay a pretty penny. Or, you could mount it and loan it to your local gun shop.

FWIW - I shot a Piebald buck earlier this year. ONly thing I kept was a foot that had "white" socks on it. Going to make a coat rack out of it.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

That is so cool I've never seen that Thanks for shareing
Old 11-21-2010, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

That would make a great full body mount.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looking at the head in the running picture, I'm pretty sure it is a doe fawn. Very unusual color.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

That is a awesome deer and the explanation sounds correct. I would be interested to see if it will keep its color as an adult?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by croc2116
That is a awesome deer and the explanation sounds correct. I would be interested to see if it will keep its color as an adult?
I will let you know if it survived, as well as the sex of it. Now that its general firearm season the hunt clubs that border my piece are running thir hounds and the whole month of Dec in my county is either sex, so I will be on the lookout and absolutely wont hesitate to pull the trigger on it!

Hopefully I can share the picures if its harvested. And then I will call Bass Pro!
Old 11-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

i dont see a deer that looks like that it the cam pic its a doe in the shade