HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Did the research, its a melanistic fawn on my lease
Old 11-20-2010, 07:13 PM
hardwoodhank
Spike

Default Did the research, its a melanistic fawn on my lease

A while back I shared something I caught on one of my trail cams. At first I thought it was a dog, or some other kind of animal, as I know the location the picture was taken and there is nothing to have cast such a dark shadow on the fawn.

I did some research and Im 99% sure its a "melanistic fawn". 5 times more rare than an albino and much more than a piebald. Im priviledged to have this animal on my land, now Im curious if it was a buck or not, and how much Bass Pro Shop would pay me for it as a full bodied mount if harvested...just kidding, but it would make a great body mount, regardless of it being a buck or doe.

The photographer that took the "real" picture says he has been taking picture of deer in the wild for 30 years and has never encountered one. A few stories have surfaced of hunters harvesting one, but most were in texas and I believe one was in Michigan, I believe.

A cool story I thought I would share. Take a look at the last deer in line of these coming from a trail that leads to a creek and swamp area. Its the only logical explanation I can come up with unless you have a different opinion. Please share!

The photographers only picture in 30 years of photographing deer in the wild.