HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Did the research, its a melanistic fawn on my lease (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/334660-did-research-its-melanistic-fawn-my-lease.html)

hardwoodhank 11-20-2010 07:13 PM

Did the research, its a melanistic fawn on my lease

A while back I shared something I caught on one of my trail cams. At first I thought it was a dog, or some other kind of animal, as I know the location the picture was taken and there is nothing to have cast such a dark shadow on the fawn.

I did some research and Im 99% sure its a "melanistic fawn". 5 times more rare than an albino and much more than a piebald. Im priviledged to have this animal on my land, now Im curious if it was a buck or not, and how much Bass Pro Shop would pay me for it as a full bodied mount if harvested...just kidding, but it would make a great body mount, regardless of it being a buck or doe.

The photographer that took the "real" picture says he has been taking picture of deer in the wild for 30 years and has never encountered one. A few stories have surfaced of hunters harvesting one, but most were in texas and I believe one was in Michigan, I believe.

A cool story I thought I would share. Take a look at the last deer in line of these coming from a trail that leads to a creek and swamp area. Its the only logical explanation I can come up with unless you have a different opinion. Please share! :party0005:

The photographers only picture in 30 years of photographing deer in the wild.

reds10ss 11-20-2010 08:00 PM

very cool...

countertop 11-20-2010 08:44 PM

I bet they would pay a pretty penny. Or, you could mount it and loan it to your local gun shop.

FWIW - I shot a Piebald buck earlier this year. ONly thing I kept was a foot that had "white" socks on it. Going to make a coat rack out of it.

oldshedhunter35 11-20-2010 09:02 PM

That is so cool I've never seen that Thanks for shareing

jrbsr 11-21-2010 04:29 AM

That would make a great full body mount.

timbercruiser 11-21-2010 06:04 AM

Looking at the head in the running picture, I'm pretty sure it is a doe fawn. Very unusual color.

croc2116 11-21-2010 06:18 AM

That is a awesome deer and the explanation sounds correct. I would be interested to see if it will keep its color as an adult?

hardwoodhank 11-21-2010 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by croc2116 (Post 3726076)
That is a awesome deer and the explanation sounds correct. I would be interested to see if it will keep its color as an adult?

I will let you know if it survived, as well as the sex of it. Now that its general firearm season the hunt clubs that border my piece are running thir hounds and the whole month of Dec in my county is either sex, so I will be on the lookout and absolutely wont hesitate to pull the trigger on it!

Hopefully I can share the picures if its harvested. And then I will call Bass Pro! :cool2:

monkeyman2269 11-21-2010 02:33 PM

i dont see a deer that looks like that it the cam pic its a doe in the shade