Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hi or lo

Old 11-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default hi or lo

I think you can have as good of luck in a climber 12 ft off the ground when you have a lot of foliage. At the same time, I always feel so much better when I am up high around 25 ft or so. What are you guys thoughts/experiences with this. Is there a height you have noticed that you dont ever seem to get spotted. I always wonder that when I am hunting, how far up a tree will a deer look.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

ive shot two deer this year no higher than 15 ft. neither one of them knew i was there. i never go higher than that unless i need to look down into a clearcut or something.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Out of two deer this year i've shot one from about 12 ft, one from the ground, and none from my 17' ladder stand. It's all about knowing the deer, if you can tell where they're coming from and where they're going you can position yourself in the right spot not to be seen. Really depends on your terrain though I guess...
Old 11-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

i shot a doe this weekend from my climber only 10- 12 feet off the ground (not much of a guy for heights) and there were deer all over the field, non saw me, not when i stood up or when i drew back. i think the key is having cover on your sides. i try to keep my shooting lane in front of me and have plenty of cover on my sides.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find when i am 25 or more up you can be on a bare tree with lots of movement and they seldom look up unless you are making noise as well
Old 11-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

i shot one 3 feet of the ground in an apple tree! all you need to do is make sure they cant see your silhouette! usually im around 12 feet though