Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting in northern va.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:53 AM
Spike

Default Hunting in northern va.

Hello all. I am relatively new to Nothern, VA. I am trying to get back into hunting. I have both shotgun, and bow. I am looking for any info. on any hunting groups in the area, or groups of guys that get together and hunt in the area. I am in the area of Annandale. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Spike

i know there is a lot of land on the Marine Corps base at quantico, and a lot of it is limited to bow only.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

There is a nice area in markham va about 75 miles out rt 66 west its called thompson wildlife area and if you go a little further there are thousands of acres of public land its called george washington national forest if you take 95 south you have Quantico MCB it spans 3 countys a little further south is fort A P Hill if you go to walmart and get a topo map book of va it will show every public hunting spot in va .....good luck
Old 10-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info. Keep it coming if you get more.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/
Old 10-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Thompson WMA is pretty over run, but if you position your self well (ie: on top) you can get deer that the folks down below drive up the hill. But watch out, theres some real yahoos there. I wouldn't go opening day. If you can get out midweek, its ok though.

PM me, I'll clue you in to the good spots (not going to post here for the world to see)

GW Forest is good too.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

If you want to bowhunt you can try Ft Belvior. I hunted there a couple of years when I lived in Springfield. You will have to take their safety class, it was an 8 hr, one day class when I took it, and qualify with broadheads at 20 and 30 yds at the archery range. Not a bad deal especially if you can get off the beaten path.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Spike

I live in Springfield, VA and I primarily hunt at Quantico. I have yet to try Ft Belvoir, but it's bow only. Quantico offers Bow only areas and also a LOT of areas that offer both. There are some WMA's that are out there like some other people said, but they are either a drive (lil over a hour) or you have to get into a lottery. Good Luck!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Spike

Thank you everyone for the information. I appreciate all of it. Being that Quantico and Ft. Belvoir are the closest, I will probably try them first.