Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Short morning!!!

Old 11-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Short morning!!!

I had a rather short morning this morning. Had to call the OL at 0515hrs to make sure her cell phone alarm was working with the time change. Then decided that since I was up, might as well go hunt.
Got to stand a tad late, was pretty bright already, about 0630hrs. Was in stand 5 minutes when a basket rack 6 came in behind me and then under me. 10 minutes later while watching a doe tend a scrape across the field, another 6 came through behind me a tad farther. Then the first 6 came out on the field and followed my drag rag trail and licked the rag hanging at 19 yds and went on his way. 5 minutes after that a doe apparently staying away from the bucks snuck out in the field and followed my trail to only stop and check out the rag. Next thing she smelled was my GrimReaper streaking towards her lower chest!!!! She bucked, jumped up about 4 feet, turned and ran back towards where she came from only to do the drunken stumble and then the four footed flop to end the morning before my ears even got a chance to get cold!!!!!!! She was even so nice as to run 50 yards towards my truck for me!!!!!!! 5 deer in 30 minutes, not bad for a last minute hunt. Coffee pot was still warm when I got back home!!!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 11-08-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

why dident u shoot the bucks
Old 11-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Spike

thats the way to do it only if it always whent that well congrats on the deer and hope it works like that for me this week
Old 11-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by monkeyman2269
We are only allowed 2 antlered deer per year regardless of how many permits or what weapon they are for. I still have 2 months of bow season left and 3 firearm seasons to go. I already put 1 buck down as a management buck. So I only have 1 left and don't want to waste it on a scrub rack when Ol mossey horns walks by later on !!!!!!!! Besides, I would rather take the does anyhow. I am real big on herd management. We have a very large off set of bucks to does and no one around here really takes the does like they need to. That being said, I don't care how you saute', marinate', or pressure cook those antlers, you can't eat them!!!!!!!!!! I have a 157" and a 171-2/16ths on the wall already and several in the 135"-160" on the floor as table leg wreathes, so it has to be something before I take any real bucks just for GP.

Last edited by SecondChance; 11-08-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

in kansas you can only shoot one buck per YEAR so i would let them walk also
Originally Posted by monkeyman2269