Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

pushing deer like or dislike?

Old 11-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default pushing deer like or dislike?

I recently got in an argument with a friend about pushing deer. I am a treestand/groundblind hunter and I just do not agree with pushing a woods as a hunting method. I like sitting out morning and evening to take in nature without the animals knowing I am there. Pushing deer doesnt seem like 100% fair chase to me I'd just like to hear some of your opinions.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Where I'm from the hunters have been doing it longer than hunting laws have existed. My grandpa shot his first deer when he 12 from a drive, or as you say push, my dad got his that way, and I got mine that way. If done right, you can drive them without getting them running or too scared.
I also bow hunt, from a stand. So I understand where you're coming from, because I enjoy sitting quietly and enjoying nature. But it's just one of many legal hunting methods that us hunters enjoy.
-Jake
Old 11-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

To each his own, just make sure you don't shoot a deer that moves past your stand after being bumped by someone on a deer drive. That wouldn't be fair.

I think drives are a highly effective way to shoot deer. Some big deer know better than to move in the daylight and a drive can be the only way to get them on their feet.

IMO, legal = fair chase in this case.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Spike

I have nothing against it if you are doing it on your own land and not disturbing other hunters, but I avoid it myself. Just not my style.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Brent B
I recently got in an argument with a friend about pushing deer. I am a treestand/groundblind hunter and I just do not agree with pushing a woods as a hunting method. I like sitting out morning and evening to take in nature without the animals knowing I am there. Pushing deer doesnt seem like 100% fair chase to me I'd just like to hear some of your opinions.
In a couple of the areas I hunt dogs are used to "push" deer. People pay big time $$$$ for a good deer dog. I personally prefer the peace and quiet of hunting from a stand or blind.

As to it not being fair chase. There is no guarantee that the deer will go where your stander is in wait. Many times they double back and go right back to where they were before.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

During bow season, never even thought of driving deer. A nice easy walk through, maybe, but my son and I keep to ourselves and enjoy waiting for em to move. Less movement the better.

But, during rifle season, we sit most of the time, and after the 1st 2 or 3 days of shooting, the bucks get wary and disappear. Nobody sees squat except for does and spikes and they complain about it. Trying to organize a deer drive with our guys is next to useless, except for some of us die-hards. We get maybe 6 or 7 guys together and go for it. Years ago, we'd get all 25 guys together and push and produce a lot of nice bucks. Some silent pushes, some barking, didn't matter, just get em moving and out of the beds. To me it's still a part of hunting in order to complete a falling off season. Too many of our guys like to sit all day with a rifle, for what ? I can see sitting till 9:00, but after that, I gotta get moving. I see more deer walking anyway. These guys hunt till 10:00, go back to camp, BS till 2:00 and head back for the afternoon hunt. Can't see the big boy sitting back and drawing a few "beverages", and expect success. It's few and far between.

I know of a couple of clubs, hunt 3,000 acres, 50 guys, expensive dues, 2 in-house cooks, all-you-can eat and drink included, that do nothing but drive from opening day till the end of the season. That's it. Beautiful property, huge bucks, but drive only? Just not my style.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

I don't like it. I love sitting out there figuring the deer out and setting up somewhere and waiting. I think driving takes the scouting part out of it for the most part. The other reason I don't like it is that aren't most of the deer moving at 100mph when shot at? Too hard for me to hit that and I bet a lot get wounded. I have no "driving" experience though and the only thing I know about it is from what I see on the surrounding farms around here. So I say not for me with the disclaimer I never tried an organized one.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

I've never lost a deer shooting one off of a drive...which would be.... sixteen deer I think. I have lost one while bow hunting. And no, they're not running 100 mph. But, shooting at running deer is a very hot topic hahaha. I suggets avoiding it.

But, Like I said ^^^ up there, if you do it right, the deer are just walking and sneaking to get away. If you don't push them to quick, you usually get nice shots.
-Jake
Old 11-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Spike

as long as people arent sprinting through the woods and yelling, deer typically move at about walking pace ahead of you. after tagging out the past 3 years ive had 3 nice bucks that i pushed to my friend that were walking when they got to him. he now has 3 bucks because of it. i know where they bed and how they move to escape danger. i walk with the wind at my back towards the deer more or less hanging out in known bedding areas before moving on. try to spot deer before they get up and you have an easy shot at a rising deer. other wise they are either getting up 100 yards ahead of you and by pausing they end up just walking about 250 yards later where my buddy has a simple chip shot. if they arent pushed too hard and just bumped they will bolt for 200yards or they will smell you and take off just barely more than a gait
Old 11-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is just another way of deer hunting. As long as they have permission to hunt the land they are on there is nothing wrong with it. I also don't have any problem with dog drives, stand hunting, baiting, calling or any other legal type of deer hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.