HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - pushing deer like or dislike?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 AM
accman
Fork Horn

During bow season, never even thought of driving deer. A nice easy walk through, maybe, but my son and I keep to ourselves and enjoy waiting for em to move. Less movement the better.

But, during rifle season, we sit most of the time, and after the 1st 2 or 3 days of shooting, the bucks get wary and disappear. Nobody sees squat except for does and spikes and they complain about it. Trying to organize a deer drive with our guys is next to useless, except for some of us die-hards. We get maybe 6 or 7 guys together and go for it. Years ago, we'd get all 25 guys together and push and produce a lot of nice bucks. Some silent pushes, some barking, didn't matter, just get em moving and out of the beds. To me it's still a part of hunting in order to complete a falling off season. Too many of our guys like to sit all day with a rifle, for what ? I can see sitting till 9:00, but after that, I gotta get moving. I see more deer walking anyway. These guys hunt till 10:00, go back to camp, BS till 2:00 and head back for the afternoon hunt. Can't see the big boy sitting back and drawing a few "beverages", and expect success. It's few and far between.

I know of a couple of clubs, hunt 3,000 acres, 50 guys, expensive dues, 2 in-house cooks, all-you-can eat and drink included, that do nothing but drive from opening day till the end of the season. That's it. Beautiful property, huge bucks, but drive only? Just not my style.