Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Run in with a Rancher Today

Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Jeff, I dont want you to think I am against you in anyway for sticking up for yourself. But there have been a few people on here that have told you that you could have been nicer to the rancher and proved your point without being arrogant. I don't think you have listened to a single thing that the few people not cheering you on have said. They are just saying to show him respect, more respect than you would want in return. I know you had to defend yourself, but put yourself in his shoes. If you had lets say houses getting burnt down that you were building(since you said something about being a carpenter) and you see a person drive by that has gasoline and lighters in their truck. Would you not think that maybe they were lighting your houses on fire. Im guessing you would maybe be a little testy too if what you make your living on was getting destroyed. Also enough of being scared about getting charged or not. No one was charged and if your GPS records where you are at all times it would have never held up in court as long as you where never on his land. It seems like as soon as he accused you of trespassing you wanted to make him look stupid and act like you were a lot cooler than him because he is a stupid rancher that doesnt know his property lines. Again I am not trying to be against you, I just think you could have handled the whole thing in a more mature and respectful manner. You act like "the charges" you could have been charged with, were a matter of life or death. There is no way it would have held up in court as long as you werent on his land.

Originally Posted by Jeff Ovington
Take the higher road.LOL. This could gave led to me getting charged for an offence I didn't commit. This could have led to embarrasement and And you want me to take the higher road.I could have lost my vehical, my guns hunting license ,drivers licence lost money in tow bills and fines and possibly recieved jail time or community service hours. These allegations are serious not a joke. Do what you want, but I fight for myself and my family.I will die fighting for something I didn't do.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Damn rights I wanted to make this lier look stupid.
End of story. I hate liers.
Hate them!
But I didn't do this to make me feel better about myself, I did it for Protection.
He trumped up accusations who the hell knows what else he could of come up with. Maybe Lieing accusing me of being the one to shoot his cows.I know I could have got off but this is what could have happened if I didn't have proof of where I was.I understand what he is going through, totally allready mentioned this several times hope he catches the guys and they get charged to the full extent of the Law. I will not apologize to someone who outright lied and accussed me of a serios crime. This could have affected my lively hood not just his.He did wrong. I will appologize to him for actions that a few bad apples do when I am damn well good and ready to. Not now, Im not ready or in the mood to give one.The guy is out for blood and rightly so, but to ruin inocentent lives in the process is inexcusible.I know he did it to protected his property and his lively hood, but if that's what he wants to do, do it on his own property not on public soil.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 11-04-2010 at 05:11 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

I understand that you were upset that this guy falsely accused you for trespassing, but it sure seems like you are taking this way too far. You make it seem like he was going to ruin your life, I doubt he would have even pressed charges. He is an old rancher who has worked hard his whole life and recently has had some unfortunate things happen to him. I for one would have explained to him calmy about it and been as friendly as possible. Sometimes people like that need to vent and after they tell everything to you, you both then have a better understanding of each other. Also he might realize your a nice guy(not some hot head that will get angry with him) and he might even say you could hunt his ground and keep watch over it so no more cows get killed. Just keep this in mind if you ever have another run in like this one.

Damn rights I wanted to make this lier look stupid.
End of story. I hate liers.
Hate them!
But I didn't do this to make me feel better about myself, I did it for Protection.
He trumped up accusations who the hell knows what else he could of come up with. Maybe Lieing accusing me of being the one to shoot his cows.I know I could have got off but this is what could have happened if I didn't have proof of where I was.I understand what he is going through, totally allready mentioned this several times hope he catches the guys and they get charged to the full extent of the Law. I will not apologize to someone who outright lied and accussed me of a serios crime. This could have affected my lively hood not just his.He did wrong. I will appologize to him for actions that a few bad apples do when I am damn well good and ready to. Not now, Im not ready or in the mood to give one.The guy is out for blood and rightly so, but to ruin inocentent lives in the process is inexcusible.I know he did it to protected his property and his lively hood, but if that's what he wants to do, do it on his own property not on public soil.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Spike

Went hunting this morn. Turned off toward a Lake Resort and wanted to drive into the back of this country to hunt on crown land.
Got way back there park my truck started working my way down
the rim rock sage brush Coulies that over look this lake.
Down at the bottem are ranching fields.Deer work their way up and down this slope all day. I always carry a GPS that traverses all area I walk.I had to get stuff hung up and Pumkins carved for Halloween this afternoon so I left at noon to be back home in time to get started.Anyways Im driving home and a truck Was coming towards me so I pulled over to chat. Well he's the owner of the Ranch fown below and asks me where I was hunting told him where I was.
He then procedes to tell me it's private property and I had no right hunting. I look at him and said do I look stupid? Went to my truck grabbed my binder with all the land tiles and property that are held to the public private sector and leased.I said you don't own where I hunt. I didn't treespass your property to get there and said are you
done yet?I told him I don't give a godamn crap where you think people should hunt. The fact is I am miles away from any major road or building Or structure,well within my legal bounds. You try stopping me from hunting this area it's your livelyhood going down not mine.You may pull this **** off with other guys but you ain't going to happen to me.The fact is your fields boarder crown land, and if you do anything to hinder me from hunting I will be the one doing the reporting and I showed him the British Columbia Provincial Regs that states Report anybody who prevents or blocks access to crown land.I told him if I see the ditched or posted it's your ass. Then I got in my truck told him to take my license plate of he had a concern but I'm leaving and I'm coming back in tomorrow.He drove off pissed.
I drove off shaking my head. Some peoples mentality.
I've read through all this and for the life of me can't find anyting that shows he threatened you in any way or gave you any reason at all to go balistic on him just because he accused you of tresspassing.... I've been there myself and have had to stick up for my rights also when was accused of tresspassing and the calmer I got the angrier the owner got out of frustration. Bottom line here is that YOU blew your cool just because he accused you of something you knew you didn't do. Tell me this if you had politely showed him your binder and the boundries and smiled and said no your mistaken and said hope you have a nice day and left how much more good would you feel right now telling that story to those here and how bad it would have made the land owner look, then the way it turned out you are the one that comes out of this looking bad. There was absolutely no reason at all for your reactions if the story you tell is true.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

When someone or accussed me of something,or outright just tells me Im on private land when I know I'm not. I feel threatened.
He lied bottem line. Once a lier always one.Who knows where this was gonna end.I wasn't about to find out. He had his reasons they are obvious, I pointed them out.I respect you totally for the critism your giving me. However Im not going to change my mind over this,I will fight it, I got defensive and as far as Im concerned I had every right to do so.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 11-04-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

When someone accussed me of something, I feel threatened.
He lied bottem line. Once a lier always one.Who knows where this was gonna end.I wasn't about to find out. He had his reasons they are obvious, I pointed them out.I respect you totally for the critism your giving me. However Im not going to change my mind over this,I will fight it, I got defensive and as far as Im concerned I had every right to do so.

I repeat - good for you !!!

See my signature "tag line".

BTW - I like ranchers (and most people) as a rule.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Had something very similar happen to me.

Pulled up to the public ground I was hunting and there was someone that works for the farmer that owns ground that borders the public ground on two sides. And he is the largest land owner in the county we live in and is an ass to boot.

Guy drives the tractor up and get off and says you are on private ground. I said no I am not. Then he says well this is a private drive and the old river is the access and again I say no I am not tresspassing so I get the maps and GPS out and show him that I was in fact on a numbered county road that was unimproved. He still keeps on at me so I look at him and say I'll tell you what you call you boss and the sheriff and I am going hunting and I will be out at around dark then we will go from there. He looked at me with a stupid look and said I will have to talk to my boss and I repeated what I was going to do and what he can do and really I was daring him to do because I knew I was right.

It's the same old BS all the time with land owners like that. Alot of people don't know this which I guess is good for me but I just hate it when they try to keep even public ground private through lies!!!

To OP yeah you where a little harsh but you have to stand up for your rights cause they will walk all over you if you let them.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

I am with you 100% on this, guy got what he deserved,he sure didn't deserve a pat on the back,rancher or not a rancher he still seemed like an arrogant f***er,maybe after being yelled at he will loose his poor attitude.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

had a guy like that around here and he didnt even own land he just leased he would stop you on the road going out of town if you was walking and ask where you thought you was going, finally a neighbor beat the piss out of him and he stopped that in a hurry.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Went hunting this morn. Turned off toward a Lake Resort and wanted to drive into the back of this country to hunt on crown land.
Got way back there park my truck started working my way down
the rim rock sage brush Coulies that over look this lake.
Down at the bottem are ranching fields.Deer work their way up and down this slope all day. I always carry a GPS that traverses all area I walk.I had to get stuff hung up and Pumkins carved for Halloween this afternoon so I left at noon to be back home in time to get started.Anyways Im driving home and a truck Was coming towards me so I pulled over to chat. Well he's the owner of the Ranch fown below and asks me where I was hunting told him where I was.
He then procedes to tell me it's private property and I had no right hunting. I look at him and said do I look stupid? Went to my truck
grabbed my binder with all the land tiles and property that are held to the public private sector and leased.I said you don't own where I hunt. I didn't treespass your property to get there and said are you
done yet?I told him I don't give a godamn crap where you think people should hunt. The fact is I am miles away from any major road or building Or structure,well within my legal bounds. You try stopping me from hunting this area it's your livelyhood going down not mine.You may pull this **** off with other guys but you ain't going to happen to me.The fact is your fields boarder crown land, and if you do anything to hinder me from hunting I will be the one doing the reporting and I showed him the British Columbia Provincial Regs that states Report anybody who prevents or blocks access to crown land.I told him if I see the ditched or posted it's your ass. Then I got in my truck told him to take my license plate of he had a concern but I'm leaving and I'm coming back in tomorrow.He drove off pissed.
I drove off shaking my head. Some peoples mentality.
DAYum Jeff I sure wish you would not mix words and just say what you REALLY mean LOL ....

dd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.