Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is it generally a bad idea to cross a field during the early a.m.? >

Is it generally a bad idea to cross a field during the early a.m.?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it generally a bad idea to cross a field during the early a.m.?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it generally a bad idea to cross a field during the early a.m.?

I have never hunted a place with a field before. Depending on the wind, I may be hunting a spot clear across the farm. The most direct way to get there is to cut the field. However, the field is bordered by trees all the way around, either the forest edge or a fenceline.

Is it better to walk the perimeter and stay close to the trees (for cover) or is it okay to cut the field slowly? Walking the perimeter will at least triple the amount of distance I have to cover, so I'm not sure which is riskier (and no, I am not asking this because I'm trying to be lazy). If I walk the perimeter, I feel like I'm leaving behind more scent, and increasing my possible exposure to deer 3 times over. If I cut the field, I'm afraid they could see me in the open.

Thoughts?
Old 10-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmm, good question. I've always walked the border of the field going in and out. The fear I'd have of cutting across is you might spook deer that are in the field. I think it'd also depend on how big of a field you're going through.
I didn't help much, sorry.
-Jake
Old 10-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

The one field I hunt mornings I walk probably an extra 1/2 mile to come into it from the woods, not going anywhere near the field itself. I also hunt turkeys at this field and in turkey season I will run teh field edge. I routinely kick deer out of the field.

They will see/hear you and leave.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmm...

See, I'm nervous about kicking deer out by actually going thru the woods to get to my spot because some places are super thick with briers, etc. It would be very tough to slink thru silently. I will not be setting up to hunt the field itself, just the woods across the field. Maybe I'll sit along the fenceline and let my eyes get used to things awhile, and glass in the dark to see if I pick anything up before I make my decision.

Here is the field, the one on the western side of the fencerow. See the first inside corner (if you're working down from the north)? The one that is rounded, not the one to the south that is rounded with that knob sticking out. I want to hunt that area of the woods towards the swampy area to the north if there is a S/SW prevailing wind like the weather is calling for.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

I live in the middle of farm country most of my hunting consists of the edges of fields and things of that nature. I will walk across the field 100% of the time in your situation. I won't argue with anyone saying that I'm right by God or anything like that either, it's just MY OPINION. I do this for 2 reasons. Our deer never walk in the middle of fields, so they travel the fence rows and things of that nature. If I walk the fence rows then I will inevitably jump deer on my way OR I will have one walk the same path I did and get spooked from my path. I would rather leave their paths and bedding areas undisturbed when I walk to the stand.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Spike

I across fields all the time. yes I would prefer to walk field rows but with the leaves and the twigs that you are bound to encounter it is really safer, noise wise to just cross the field and make as little disturbance as possible doing so. Like a band aid hurry and get it over with and get to you stand if you get there early enough and with out much noise you will probably be ok, if you did spoke something out of the field they may come back in like and hour that has happened to me 9 out of the 10 times i have ever spooked deer out of the field they have come back. I look at it this way your playing odds, if the deer are there in the area already or when they move through. Best rule of thumb in my grandfathers opinion is treat getting to a stand in the morning like a band-aid do it in the shortest possible time with as little disturbance as possible.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

If you are not going to be hunting the field I say bust right through the middle of it. Quietly of course. I would try to get in a little bit early like savagearms said they may come back.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

I don't hunt fields, but if given the chance I'd walk straight across simply because deer run the edges.