Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ever Had Hunt Ruined Or "Thought" It Was? >

Ever Had Hunt Ruined Or "Thought" It Was?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever Had Hunt Ruined Or "Thought" It Was?

Old 10-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Ever Had Hunt Ruined Or "Thought" It Was?

Ok, I don't really mean to have a hunt ruined, but have a hunt situation or scenario that played out and you thought for sure your hunt was over? I have several, but I'll share one, since I have just enough caffeine in me for one more post. LOL! ...

Got up early one Saturday morning to bowhunt. It was snowin' like crazy out too. The temperature was such the flakes were huge and it stuck to everything! It was one of those beautiful mornings where the woods looked all white. I had my exposed bow in the back of the pickup as it wasn't snowing at the time I left my house and the destination was about 17 miles away. I had the arrows attached via a quiver.

The flakes stuck to my windshield something fierce and had to use the windshield wipers and spray quite often. By the time I got to where I was headed, the pickup was covered!

I made my way to the stand, but soon realized something. Along with that heavy snow was a rain and that froze to everything as well. I can literally see the ice build up on the trees and brush after closer examination. What really sucked though was the ice on the steps, but long story short found me almost my stand, that also was covered in ICE!

Now I was ****** off! I ended up being so mad, the stand did fold up and down, so while it was chained to the tree, I lifted it up and slammed the bottom part down hard and the ice broke off. I did this at least 4 times real hard. I was steamin'. I made so much noise that every deer in the county heard me make that commotion.

But not 5 minutes later, here walks in a decent 6 point buck that I'm about to shoot. Only problem now is that I'm in camouflage, that is NOT snow camo and I stick out like a straight guy in figure skating. He sees me and I sit there ready to draw... motionless. He's so stupid he forgets about me and starts walking on by. He gets broadside and I start to draw. key word.. "start". LOL!

Remember the bow I had in the back of the pickup, the one "exposed"? Well, the windshield wiper fluid and all the other snow coming off the top of the windshield landed on not only my bow, but the arrows as well. As I drew, I heard the awful sound of the ice on the arrow being raked over the arrow rest. LOL! He didn't like that and took off down the trail.

Ok, my hunt was ruined, but the point is, with all the racket I made, I thought my hunt was ruined.. over! But it wasn't. A buck showed up not 5 minutes later and before that I was steamed so bad I was about to go back home and cry.

Every had something happen on your hunt where you "thought" your hunt was over, but wasn't?

iSnipe
Old 10-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Spike

That sounds like a bad day LOL but you gotta take care of your equipment!
Old 10-15-2010, 02:59 AM
Fork Horn

Cool

Yea last year. I was huntin with a buddy of mine and we were watching a cleAR cut and it seems nature calls at bad times well I told him I had to go and I'd walk aroun to the other side of the property and take care of buissness and sit somewere and watch so I did and I made so much noise going through high grass and all I knew it was over well 10 mins later I caught movement and a messed up spike came by 40 yards in a field and I blasted him with a 3030. So sometimes when you think it's over it has just began.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Yup. Two years ago opening afternoon of bow season I was sitting about 60 yards from a bean field. When I got there everything was nice and quiet but of course about an hour after I was in my stand the farmer decided he needed to pick his beans. I was so frustrated bc it was so loud and such i considered my hunt over. I didn't expect to see anything but is stuck it out bc to leave early on opening day is something I frown upon. A little while later a 150 class buck sneaks in behind to about 6 yards. Unfortunately, my cam hit my stand bc i had a huge angled shot and the arrow flew about 3 yards in front of the buck. I didn't get my trophy but i def had my opportunity!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

That sounds like a frustrating day.. Tonight opening day night I get to my spot only to findout I forgot my release in my car. I turn around hike across the field get my release go all the way back to my spot. Start climbing up the tree and setting things up whe n I hear snorting. Thats when I loo over and 6 does run away. I was so frustrated because it was already late, but decided to stay anyway. 20 minutes later a nice 7 with a basket rack come walking in I shot him rite in the lungs, wait 15 minutes get down bring all my stuff back to the field before looking for the deer. Get back another half hour later so its been 45 minutes. Start looking for my deer have great blood trail 15 yards along the trail I find 6inches of my arrow from knock down covered in blood so my broadhead is still inside him keep going all the way up to a little stream follow it across to very watery blood then it gets pitch black and the blood trail ends.I take a huge lap around looking for him with my head lamp, nothing so I backed out and am gonna go in the morning to look for him. This happened tonightttt talk about frustrating lol Id say you got me beat tho
Old 10-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

One evening I was sitting in my stand and I saw tresspassers coming onto the land I had permission to hunt. My initial thought was that they were going to ruin my hunt. The next thing I knew they jumped a deer that ran right under my stand. I put an arrow through the deer, got down and gave the tresspassers the boot. Collected my deer and that was that.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by scribbler444
That sounds like a frustrating day.. Tonight opening day night I get to my spot only to findout I forgot my release in my car. I turn around hike across the field get my release go all the way back to my spot. Start climbing up the tree and setting things up whe n I hear snorting. Thats when I loo over and 6 does run away. I was so frustrated because it was already late, but decided to stay anyway. 20 minutes later a nice 7 with a basket rack come walking in I shot him rite in the lungs, wait 15 minutes get down bring all my stuff back to the field before looking for the deer. Get back another half hour later so its been 45 minutes. Start looking for my deer have great blood trail 15 yards along the trail I find 6inches of my arrow from knock down covered in blood so my broadhead is still inside him keep going all the way up to a little stream follow it across to very watery blood then it gets pitch black and the blood trail ends.I take a huge lap around looking for him with my head lamp, nothing so I backed out and am gonna go in the morning to look for him. This happened tonightttt talk about frustrating lol Id say you got me beat tho
I wish you good luck tommorrow.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

On Wednesday I decided to go hunting because I had nothing to do. I get all set up and I walk into the public land I was hunting on, and after 5 minutes I get to my tree. About 20 feet away, what did I see? A freaking trail camera sitting over a bait pile. At this point I was in a dimension of pissed off that I have never been in before. Sure he has as much of a right to hunt there as I do, but its a great spot. Well an hour after I got home, I get permission to hunt private land that I will have all to myself! I went scouting Friday and saw multiple scrapes and rubs, including one that was almost 3 feet high!!!! Going out there tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Centauri: via his signature...

Get addicted to Wisconsin wolves, smoke a pack a day
You and me both brother!

Them dang things are a thorn in my side. Can't wait 'til they got off, again, the endangered species list and back into MN hands to regulate them and start a season.

I'm first on the list. LOL!

iSnipe