HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ever Had Hunt Ruined Or "Thought" It Was?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:42 AM
iSnipe
Nontypical Buck

Question Ever Had Hunt Ruined Or "Thought" It Was?

Ok, I don't really mean to have a hunt ruined, but have a hunt situation or scenario that played out and you thought for sure your hunt was over? I have several, but I'll share one, since I have just enough caffeine in me for one more post. LOL! ...

Got up early one Saturday morning to bowhunt. It was snowin' like crazy out too. The temperature was such the flakes were huge and it stuck to everything! It was one of those beautiful mornings where the woods looked all white. I had my exposed bow in the back of the pickup as it wasn't snowing at the time I left my house and the destination was about 17 miles away. I had the arrows attached via a quiver.

The flakes stuck to my windshield something fierce and had to use the windshield wipers and spray quite often. By the time I got to where I was headed, the pickup was covered!

I made my way to the stand, but soon realized something. Along with that heavy snow was a rain and that froze to everything as well. I can literally see the ice build up on the trees and brush after closer examination. What really sucked though was the ice on the steps, but long story short found me almost my stand, that also was covered in ICE!

Now I was ****** off! I ended up being so mad, the stand did fold up and down, so while it was chained to the tree, I lifted it up and slammed the bottom part down hard and the ice broke off. I did this at least 4 times real hard. I was steamin'. I made so much noise that every deer in the county heard me make that commotion.

But not 5 minutes later, here walks in a decent 6 point buck that I'm about to shoot. Only problem now is that I'm in camouflage, that is NOT snow camo and I stick out like a straight guy in figure skating. He sees me and I sit there ready to draw... motionless. He's so stupid he forgets about me and starts walking on by. He gets broadside and I start to draw. key word.. "start". LOL!

Remember the bow I had in the back of the pickup, the one "exposed"? Well, the windshield wiper fluid and all the other snow coming off the top of the windshield landed on not only my bow, but the arrows as well. As I drew, I heard the awful sound of the ice on the arrow being raked over the arrow rest. LOL! He didn't like that and took off down the trail.

Ok, my hunt was ruined, but the point is, with all the racket I made, I thought my hunt was ruined.. over! But it wasn't. A buck showed up not 5 minutes later and before that I was steamed so bad I was about to go back home and cry.

Every had something happen on your hunt where you "thought" your hunt was over, but wasn't?

iSnipe