Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Moon Phase Question

Old 10-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Moon Phase Question

I have been hunting for years with decent success and I never really paid attention to the moon phase because, well i went hunting whenever work allowed me so moon phase didnt mean much. Now i get to pick and choose my days so I am intrigued and want to learn more. I always though hunting around a full moon was not good because the deer were moving more at night? Then I read a post where someone advised a guy to hunt during the full moon. Any light that can be shed on this would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Banned

A deers eyes are made up of Rods and Cones and they can adjust their vision to see all the time. Even on a moonless night.

New Moon was the 7th of this month.
Nobody that I knew that hunted yesterday complained about not seeing deer, as a matter of fact, my one friend who is a archer said that his nephew shot a doe not 50 yards from his tree stand and there was deer around him every day this week.

So my opinion is that the more opportunities that you have to harvest a deer, the more deer you are going to see. If you can hunt every day - that is what I would do.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
A deers eyes are made up of Rods and Cones and they can adjust their vision to see all the time. Even on a moonless night.

New Moon was the 7th of this month.
Nobody that I knew that hunted yesterday complained about not seeing deer, as a matter of fact, my one friend who is a archer said that his nephew shot a doe not 50 yards from his tree stand and there was deer around him every day this week.

So my opinion is that the more opportunities that you have to harvest a deer, the more deer you are going to see. If you can hunt every day - that is what I would do.
Hunting the different phases of the moon isn't about the amount of light or lack of . It's about gravatational pull, it's a proven fact that game and fish are more active during certain moon phases. The only one I pay much attention to is when the moon is over head or under foot. Which is to say, when the moon is directly over head and or under foot, game tend to be up and feeding. And it doen't matter what time of day it is.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PY Antlers
Hunting the different phases of the moon isn't about the amount of light or lack of . It's about gravatational pull, it's a proven fact that game and fish are more active during certain moon phases. The only one I pay much attention to is when the moon is over head or under foot. Which is to say, when the moon is directly over head and or under foot, game tend to be up and feeding. And it doen't matter what time of day it is.
Well he is not complietly WRONG..and there is truth to what he is saying..I NEVER hunt a Full moon there is to much light from the Moon that lights up the wood meaning that i wont beable to shoot a deer in leagal shooting light, Allowing the deer to feed later at night. I find that the Deer move best over a New moon (less light) higher gravataional pull and with the moon not lighting up the wood the deer have to feed earlier allowing me a chance to see more deer.

But really if you hunt souly the moon you wont shoot to many deer imo. I like to pay attention to the moon but am not strict about it. I feel that i shoot most of my deer Before or after a Front (storm) comes through. Where the Barometric pressure is usally high.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

If you never hunt on days there is a full moon, I would say your missing out. The mornings after a full moon night are awesome, because yes, they have been up most the night feeding and there later getting back to there bedding area. I have had some of my best luck during the a.m. after a full moon night.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PY Antlers
If you never hunt on days there is a full moon, I would say your missing out. The mornings after a full moon night are awesome, because yes, they have been up most the night feeding and there later getting back to there bedding area. I have had some of my best luck during the a.m. after a full moon night.
I didnt say i dont hunt the morning after..I said i dont hunt over full moons..(evening Hunts) my bad for not saying that.

The Night of a Full moon you wont see any deer, except for the Young and Dumb ones. But i would agree that Mornings after a full moon are good..

I shot this one the Morning of a Full moon Not after but the day of.
Attached Thumbnails Moon Phase Question-ron-s-deer-115.jpg  
Old 10-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

From my experience, hunting on a full moon I've seen deer mostly between the hours of 10-1:00PM. But I'm sure all deer don't move and feed at the same time. Even on a full moon, I'll still be in my stand before sunrise and stay till sunset. "Can't Kill One From The Couch!"
Old 10-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Spike

crabs (no not that kind )
Old 10-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have a much better understanding now. Thanks
Old 10-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

3 days before full moon will be your best hunting from what I have learned. If I have something going on those three days before full moon, I cancel and get into the woods. This year its on the 22nd of October so I'll be hunting on the 19th, 20th and 21st pretty hard. Its all dumb luck anyways! A lot of big bucks around central WI, are being taken as we speak and a lot of rumors are flying around that a lot of these bucks are with does. One guy rattled one in and shot it. I myself had grunted one in and made a scrape 8yrds away but decided to let it go. Just like anything else, you got to put your time in I guess. Good luck