Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is it Right? Legal vs. Ethical Ted Nugent Speaks >

Is it Right? Legal vs. Ethical Ted Nugent Speaks

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it Right? Legal vs. Ethical Ted Nugent Speaks

Old 09-25-2010, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ted is part of the hunting industry too. He say things to justify his actions and line his pockets.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
I quit wasting time listening to ted promote himself a long time ago - which happens everytime he opens his mouth. He demonstrated his ethics recently in Cali. Prior to that you can see his view of the family ethics he expouses by the fact he had to be forced to accept responsibility to support a son fathered by another women while married to his current wife. Ted and credibility do not go together.
I agree. Ted used to be a hero of mine. My question would be is there anyone here who thinks Ted Nugent is relevant in ANY industry. I for one do not believe Ted is a good spokesman for the hunting community and he certainly does not speak for me. I too agree with the need to reform some game regulations. Just remember the hunting industry and the hunting community BIG Difference. But one does not exist without the other. Ted does more harm than good for the hunting community and bad mouths an industry he is involved in. So much for trying to unite our fellow sportsman. By the amount of replies to this thread it seems Ted is not relevant on this forum either.
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doug - I'm with you. Wasn't sure which way you were going with the original post.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Banned

KSWild is right on with what he is saying.

I was working last week delivering ice with a old codger that had 101 stories of being on vacation. He was telling me a story about being in a gambling parlor and winning two tickets - $50 each to hunt on Ted Nugents ranch some place. All he knew for sure was that the guy owned everything for about 20 miles in any direction. I would guess that would be Texas.

He said he went by train to see the hunting lodge and a guy spoke from behind him and said what a beautiful deer mount that was, and he agreed that it was nice. Ted was the guy standing behind him and he said that he had shot that buck the previous year and that there were a lot of other nicer bucks on the ranch then that one.

They got to talking and Ted told him that he was originally from Meadville and that his wife was from Titusville PA. This guy said that Ted moved to Michigan when he was 15. All I can figure is that his dad must have had a good job or something.
There was a lot of Pennsylvania transplants working on his ranch there. After some introductions, he ate supper with Ted and when he went to leave, Ted asked him where he was going. He told him he had to catch the train back to the town where he came from so he could go sleep in his motel room that night. Old Ted told him not to worry about it and put him up for free at his hunting lodge.

The next day, he wished him luck and told him that he hoped that the guy won one of the hunts that he drew a chip for. Well he didn't win, but Ted told him that if his name was drawn, and it was at number 16 and there is only 10 hunts available, that his name might come up anyways - because some people always falls out before the time comes to go hunting anyways and even if his name was not selected to go hunting with him, not to worry because the next year, he could ask to go hunting there for a reduced rate - just because his name was on the list for the year before.

So my opinion of him is that when he is in front of a camera, he is a real good showman and he knows how to put on a show. But when you get him in a room, one on one, you meet an entirely different person.

I do not agree with Sunday hunting or not having any rules.
I have neighbors that would hunt deer in Pennsylvania into extinction if you would let them. Just ask anyone about the deer situation in the northern tier states in the central part of Pennsylvania and their reply would be - what deer?

The reason we employ game biologists is to see how many deer per a square mile that our land can sustain. When that target goal is met, then we have to cut back hunting, so we can preserve deer for future generations. As far as that goes, when you get rid of the deer, the turkeys takes over. When you get rid of the small game habitat the deer takes over and when you get rid of the predators, the small game takes over. When you get rid of the people who hunts the predators - the predators takes over.

Its a vicious cycle and the only way to keep some sort of checks and balances is to ensure that every head is counted and every game animal is counted and to make sure that no one harvests more then their share. This is called management.

When you own all the land, you can make the rules.
In places like Pennsylvania where the state owns some of the land and the government owns some of the land and the timber companies owns some of the land and the farmers owns some of the land. Conflicts arise when any one group wants to preserve the deer or eradicate the deer. Neither group wins when each of them are screaming that they want this or that and they want it right now.

The people with the deepest pockets are the ones that gets everything their way because of the graft and corruption, and these days that is the insurance companies. You hardly ever see a road killed deer anymore and you hardly see a car with collision damage anymore from deer. At the same time, you hardly see deer anymore either.

When you open a place up and you tell everyone to shoot as much as you like, in a year or two, you will have to go to a museum to see a deer. It's already happening in some counties and as the deer population is being wiped out there, the hunters just moves further south until they end up at the Mason Dixon line or out into OHIO...

Maybe TED ought to attack this one step at a time, in a well thought out manner and not all at once, in one fell swoop.
You won't ever get him in the white house because of his sex scandals and his draft dodging efforts from his youth, but you might get him into the house of representatives if we could just get the government to free Rod Blagojevich..

The only thing Rod did wrong was to get caught.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

or not having any rules.
Whoa, who's talking about having no rules? And for the record I have been a very harsh critic of Ted at times. But regardless of my feelings about him I think he's right on these two issues.

First the no hunting on Sunday is one of the clearest violations of the separation of church and state that I have ever seen. If you think it's a sin to hunt on Sunday then fine, don't. But why should you have the right to force that religious belief on someone else?

Baiting is one of the strangest issues in the hunting world. There are people here in Alabama that think anyone that advocates the legalization of baiting with corn are just absolute unethical pond scum. Then those same people will board a plane, fly to Canada and shoot a bear over a bait station. Or go out west and hunt antelope by staking out the only water hole for 20 miles and waiting til the animals thirst overcomes it's fear of the double bull blind sitting at the waters edge. The same people will also hunt over a green patch. Also please explain to me why it's illegal to hunt over a corn feeder but if I'm rich enough to plant a field of corn I can legally hunt over it. Seems a tad inconsistent.

I have also heard the claims of disease concerns as a reason to keep baiting illegal. The thing that blows a hole in that baseless theory is places like Texas where they have been allowing it for many years without any more of a disease problem than any other state. Besides wouldn't deer feeding in the same small green patches and under the same white oak trees be exposed to the exact same dangers if there were any?
Old 09-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Banned

Todd - go back and watch both episodes of his video interview.
He said get rid of all the rules and more or less let the sportsmen police themselves. You let my neighbors alone to their own devices, you are going to have a problem. They have 4 full size freezers in their basement and they do not buy any meat in the store.

They were born and raised on public assistance and because of where they came from, everyone looked the other way when they shot more then their share in the past. Everyone was naive enough to think that everything that they shot - they ate.

The one neighbor boy - Johnny died, before he died, he fessed up and told us that they were selling deer at one time to the city slickers in places like Munderf where guys came from Pittsburgh for a couple of days of drinking and women chasing and they would pay you hundreds of dollars for a nice buck that they could take home and lie about where they shot it and how they shot it. It would buy them another year in the woods, because their wives believed that they were out hunting and not sitting in the bars all day.

We asked him how much a 8 point buck was worth, he said knives, guns, rifle scopes, bow and arrows - anything that you wanted.
At one point, they had about 8 people, 4 of them would post and 4 of them would drive. As the people put on the drive, anything they saw, they shot. They didn't stop the drive to retrieve their dead game. After the drive was over and all the deer were shot, they would walk back through the woods and retrieve what ever they shot and then wait until dark to fetch it out and then drive it up to the camps to sell it to the city hunters. They shot everything, bucks, does, fawns - anything that moved, regardless of if it was in season or not. At one time, this was called market hunting.

Let's look at Sunday hunting a different way.
You are a game warden. Your job is to catch people who are breaking the law. In Pennsylvania, you can pretty much hunt deer from the First week of October to the end of January.
Sooner or later, you are going to get tired of being in the truck 18 hours a day, 7 days a week for 4 months. After a while, your kids won't even recognize you and your wife would probably divorce you.

Everybody needs a day off.

Hunting is a privilege, not a right.
If you choose to work on a Saturday during deer season, tough.
Some people has to have priorities, one of which is are you going to hunt or are you going to go to work?
Everyone but the game warden gets a vacation.
It's up to you to choose - am I going to take this vacation in December or am I going to take it on the 4th of July and go on a family vacation.

My dad told his employer when he was hard up for a job, 50 years ago, with a small child at home, I'm not going to be here the first week of December. You can decide not to hire me right now, but I am telling you - I'm not going to be here.
My dad worked for Speer Carbon. They made battery electrodes.
Batteries was what powered most children's toys back then.
They told him, Christmas was the busiest season of the year for making batteries and if he wanted time off, he could feel free to take the whole month of January off if he wanted, but they couldn't spare him the month of December.

I can remember many times, my dad going to the camp after work - 4 PM in the afternoon and walking up the valley and shooting a doe.
Doe season for rifle was only two days and he had to put meat on the table and deer meat was the easiest to get...
Even times when my grandfather and Uncle refused to go out the door because they hunted all day and did not see a deer, dad went out and shot one. It was out of pure necessity - because dad had 6 kids at home and probably only made $5 or $6 a hour at that time.

Even back then it was pretty hard to feed, clothe and put a roof over the heads of 8 people with $200 a week.

I can see the point of both you and me. But my opinion still stands - no Sunday hunting!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
but you might get him into the house of representatives if we could just get the government to free Rod Blagojevich..

The only thing Rod did wrong was to get caught.
When you can tell me that you have lived in IL. in the last 10 years then you can comment on Rod. It's probably hard for you to see the destruction that he caused from several hundred miles away.

You are a game warden. Your job is to catch people who are breaking the law. In Pennsylvania, you can pretty much hunt deer from the First week of October to the end of January.
Sooner or later, you are going to get tired of being in the truck 18 hours a day, 7 days a week for 4 months. After a while, your kids won't even recognize you and your wife would probably divorce you.
Worst arguement that I've heard about Sunday hunting yet. You really think a game warden works those kind of hours. That's funny.

Hunting is a privilege, not a right.
If you choose to work on a Saturday during deer season, tough.
Some people has to have priorities, one of which is are you going to hunt or are you going to go to work?
Everyone but the game warden gets a vacation.
It's up to you to choose - am I going to take this vacation in December or am I going to take it on the 4th of July and go on a family vacation.
Oh my. This just keeps getting better. Some of us don't choose to work on Saturdays. For some of us that is our job. You must have it pretty easy to preach to the rest of them that if they want to hunt they should put that before family vacation. You, sir, have a twisted way of thinking. Maybe if the game warden needs a break he should look for a different career.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everybody needs a day off.
LOL! If the game wardens aren't gonna be out there on Sunday then who is gonna enforce that law??? That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. Are you implying that game wardens in states that allow Sunday hunting never get a day off?? You have heard of the concept of multiple shifts?

I can see the point of both you and me. But my opinion still stands - no Sunday hunting!
If you don't want to hunt on Sunday that's fine. I have no problem at all with a person having that personal conviction. What mystifies me is why you would want the law to force that personal religious conviction on another person. Most working people only have Saturday and Sunday off. Why would you want it to be illegal for a man to hunt his own land and put much needed meat on his families table on one of the few days he has off? Sorry but that is indefensibly selfish. Not to mention using the law to cram narrow religious beliefs down peoples throats. And make no mistake religion is at the heart of this. Otherwise why wouldn't the no hunt day be Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited by Todd1700; 09-25-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Yawn...Yawn..Yawn...Goodnight
Old 09-26-2010, 03:54 AM
Typical Buck

Fore the most part I agree with most of the rules we have on hunting now. I could imagine what it would be like if you took the rule book away. I could guarantee the game would be depleted and there would be a lot more hunting accidents. Kill it and Grill it would become more like, dust on the grill.

Sure we need famous spokesmen to promote hunting and firearms. But I could pick a few less radical public figures. Its time Ted cleaned up his act a bit and defended our rights in a more intelligent image. Too late for that I guess. Even I don't want to see blood n guts strung all over my T.V. screen during a show. We all know what a gut pile looks like. Just sayin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.