Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

best game cam?

Old 09-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Spike

Default best game cam?

My dad and I are planning to set up a couple game cams in our hunting area next weekend. Right now he has the Moultrie MFH I-40 and had just tested it out here at home. Unfortunately he said that the battery runs out quickly and it smells like its getting hot which I suppose it could just be a faulty unit and he could exchange it but... he's convinced now he doesn't want a Moultrie, he's looking for another brand. He's dead set on using infrared so incandescent is out of the question but in your opinion what is a better game cam somewhere around the $200 price range?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Spike

Sounds like he is interested in what is happening at night since he is set on infrared. Some of our members don't like infrared but to each his own. I purchased 2 Plot Watcher cameras this year and I've been very impressed with what I'm seeing. The camera only works during daylight though and they are good for about a week with the right usb stick and batteries. The Plot Watcher takes a picture every 5 seconds (you can change the pic rate to conserve battery life) and plays in a video format. You can pattern dear more effectively because you can see which direction they are moving. I've already determined the travel corridor of a group of 4 bucks that we had pictures of at a feeder. I placed the PW about 1/2 mile away from the known location and found which way the deer are moving. Also, since the PW takes a pic every 5 seconds the deer does not have to be close for you to see him. They are also almost idiot proof on the set-up side. Good luck.
R
Old 10-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

the primos line of truthcams are awesome.... i have the truth cam 35 and 46 and both are awesome. Paid a hundred bucks for the 35 and 150 for the 46.... only difference is amount of leds for ir and a couple3 features.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen the Cuddeback do good things, iffin that would suit your needs. (game cams ain't my gig )

My friend's dad hunted a little more when the camera's report showed this guy last season...

I'm guessing you're in the east?
Old 10-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leaf River Infared..
Old 10-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

Ive got two i40s and the battery life is awesome. I can go a few months and couple thousand pictures before changing batteries. I wouldnt shy away from them. the only thing ive noticed however is the display screen goes out on them. I also bought one of the moultrie i35s but its not near as good at night as it dont have near the amount of infared bulbs. Im thinking of trying the primos as mentioned above as they have many bulbs for a pretty good price. Good luck. Game cams are extremely addictive!! Love em
Old 10-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Spike

I just ordered the Primos 60 after reading the reviews on this site:

http://www.chasingame.com/index.php?id=2

They do unbiased in depth reviews of most of the cams on the market, and even include pictures
Old 10-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

Cuddie Back is a real good one with a excellent trigger speed as well as the the Bushnell cam's
Old 10-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Spike

well I shoulda checked this again sooner! We actually ended up getting the Primos Truthcam 60 and so far the pictures we have gotten of the doe out there (no bucks on the cam yet ) have turned out pretty good so I'm quite happy with the quality of the pictures, but...... i seemed to have a lot of pictures of just the grass... and after i moved the cam.. just the corn. I'm not sure if perhaps the wind is blowing the corn/grass enough to make it trigger the camera or if maybe a bird or something is going by too fast for it to capture? I was out there last wednesday and set the sensitivity to low, hopefully that doesn't effect it catching the deer that are coming by. Still hoping to see a nice buck on the cam, I KNOW they are out there saw the big guys last year Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help I appreciate it!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Z
I've seen the Cuddeback do good things, iffin that would suit your needs. (game cams ain't my gig )

My friend's dad hunted a little more when the camera's report showed this guy last season...

I'm guessing you're in the east?

me in the east? South Central Nebraska about an hour west of Lincoln.