Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

over hunting?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Spike

Default over hunting?

how often should you hunt a location?
Old 10-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm able to hunt a specific spot more than once for several reasons:

1.) I only hunt that spot when the wind is in my favor
2.) I sneak in and sneak out when I'm done(or at least think I am)
3.) I spray with a scent killer not to leave any ground scent when I'm gone

I start to hunt elsewhere when I start to see less deer or no deer. Also, I have multiple hunting locations. It's no sweat off my back if one location is not doing well... unless it was a previous "hot spot" I put my heart in to.

If you're seeing deer each time you are hunting the same spot, then you're doing something right or just getting lucky. I've hunted the same spot one morning then again the next evening... and then one spot one evening to hunt it again the next morning. I've hunted the same spot morning after morning or evening after evening many times. As the numbers reveal though, the more times you hunt a specific spot, the less you'll see.

To gauge it yourself, if you're seeing less activity, it's time to give that spot a rest.

iSnipe
Old 10-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Banned

Everyday if you want to.

It doesn't matter to the deer, they live there.
After a while they will get so used to you being there that they won't even pay attention to you anymore.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

every time you leave a spot the deer will be at your old spot as soon as you get to the new spot... be patient, if there aqre deer in the area and your seeing good sign then dont move. I dont think deer get used to hunters though thats not true at all. Every time a deer sees you they will run, deer dont get used to seeing hunters, but they get into a pattern and even if you spook one another will still come as long as the spots good. I have shot one deer and while giving it time to die had more walk right up the same path. Last weekend I shot a doe with my bow and when i went to retrieve it it was laying on the ground and another doe was standing 5 feet from it eating acorns. Deer are smart but stupid at the same time
Old 10-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Spike

well its the start of bow season in louisiana and i have permission to hunt a canal thats about a mile or so long. ive hunted my main spot 4 times in the last three days. ive got pictures of 4 big bucks and several other little ones and some does but i didnt see a single thing when i went. i think the wind was wrong for this stand.. so im gonna put another stand that i can hunt on a north wind, which is the direction the wind was blowing this weekend..
Old 10-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Spike

[ so im gonna put another stand that i can hunt on a north wind, which is the direction the wind was blowing this weekend..[/QUOTE]

Same here. It blew Saturday night and Sunday morning. I didn't see anything those two hunts. I did Saturday morning when the wind was calm. I think deer only like to move when the wind is calm so that they can smell everything. They stay put when they can't direct any scents. At least that's my opinion.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kyslayer
Deer are smart but stupid at the same time.
LOL, awesome!
Old 10-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Imo

I try not to Hunt the same stand more then 2 or three days in a row .
Everytime you walk, ride or whatever to your stand you make noise, leave scent, or disturb the deers patterns,
NO WAY do deer get use to being jumped ..
If its happening to you its a young curious fawn,,
Unless and only unless the rut is on and the stand is a hot spot , meaning there have been multiple bucks spotted during the last 3 days or so from the stand I will push the envolope and hunt it more .
But I only shower, change into fresh no scent clothes, spray myself before and once I arive at the stand with scent elimanator , and very careful being quiet in and quiet out.
I usualy dont even use my flashlight after dusk ...
Old 10-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
Everyday if you want to.

It doesn't matter to the deer, they live there.
After a while they will get so used to you being there that they won't even pay attention to you anymore.
Heh. You can believe that if you want to. I've watched deer go out of their way to go around stands that people have over hunted. Does will get used to you and keep moving past a stand, but mature bucks certainly won't. In fact, I use other hunters on public land as deer deflectors. Works great every year.

To answer the original question...I can't smell my own trail, so I don't honestly know exactly how much pressure I'm placing on a stand. As a general rule, I try not to hunt a stand more than once a week if possible. If all you're seeing is the same does and fawns after a while, you can figure that the larger bucks have you patterned. Some times you only have to move over 100-200 yards in thicker cover to find where the bucks have changed their movement patterns. That's one way to use other hunters as deer deflectors, BTW. Figure out where they hunt, and then catch the deer as they move around those guys. Works like a charm.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

I have several spots picked out and won't hunt the same spot more than 2-days in a row.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.