Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Neighbor shooting into my land >

Neighbor shooting into my land

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor shooting into my land

Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

How much land does he have? Are there big deer on there? Maybe you should make friends with him! I know hes in the wrong... But it would be nice to see one of these situations end peacefully and friendly. Youre the better man if youre not doing the same thing he does.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ramdino
My neighbor has just set up a box blind that is less than 50 yds from my property line and he is looking and shooting into my land and another neighbors who has not given him permission. Is there any laws against this and does anyone have any suggestions?
I hate to break it to you, he isn't doing anything wrong. If you catch him on your land, thats a different story. You know what, I have a problem with land owners who come in and start trouble with the neighbors. It isn't worth you getting upset and ruining your own hunt. I have a neighbor who moved in and blocked off all the main deer trails and put piss rags along the line fence. He is a real moron and don't know I have shot many of deer that went around his blockaids. When I see him working his a$$ off stacking wood over the new trails I just laugh at his antics. I usually leave him a set of balls on the fence line when I kill "his" prize buck.

Don't worry about it, just enjoy your hunt! good hunting
Old 09-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Post all your signs.No hunting, No shooting, No tresspassing on your property in front of his shooting lane.If you have a bow or rifle at your
ready, your hunting.He legally cannot look into your land with a weapon. So post these right in front if his shooting lane on your property.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Report him, get it on the record !!! So that when it happens again you are already on record that you have been having problems with him in the past !
Old 09-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

heres just an idea. when i lived in pa, my stepdad, his brother, and his father each owned 40 acres making 120 acres. but thats not where it ended because all their neighbors had a ton of land and they all agreed to allow each other to hunt their land. there were exceptions like no friends only family. friends could come as long as you made a phone call and cleared it ahead of time which was no problem as long as it wasnt a habit. the other was no building stands without clearing it up, and if you were hunting on someone elses land and they walked up to the stand you were hunting, you gave it to them which is the decent thing to do anyway. other than that courtesy and communication made all that happen. so maybe instead of this guy being a problem, he is a blessing. could make a great friend you both already love to hunt right.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Go talk to the guy, maybe you'll pick up a good hunting partner, maybe not. Creating a pissing match with your land owning neighbor really does no one any good. Stop by and say hello, start off by telling him you have seen him out there hunting. I usually turn it around and ask the neighbor if they could help show me the property line because I am interested in hunting over there but don't want to be shooting into your property.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Spike

As long as his shots arent going into a "populated" area and his shot is being taken on his land there's not much you can do or say. He has as much right to hunt as you if you were to put a blind next to his line.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was in a similar situation 2 years ago. I was doing some scouting and found a funnel where deer jumped the neighbors fence and came onto our property where they then walked on our side of the fence, but it was by a a corner so there wasn't alot of space to set up farther down to get a shot. So I went to the Neighbor and talked to him like I do every year. We always have a talk, always tell each other what radio channel we will be on and if they shoot a deer that runs onto our property to radio us so we know they entering our property and come get it, and he does the same. We then walk through the woods by the fence line to point out where anyone may be hunting for safety reasons. On the walk I discussed with hm the idea of placing my stand in that funnel. He told me it made sense to set up there and wished me the best of luck. 3 days after i set it up he called and was upset. Aparently he didnt understand i was guna be 20 yards from his property and facing 45 degree angle from fence line toward his property. I moved it 15 yards farther from the fence and changed the angle. He told me if i shoot toward the fence thats fine, just to try to make sure it was on our property. it is a barb wire fence line that has fallen down and rotted away to nothing making it hard to tell where it truely is unless you walk and look for it. I have flagged it the best i can, but last year i made a shot that was 5 yards on his property. I felt terrible and called him let him know and even told him what had happened. he was fine with it as I had done my best to flag and mark the line best i could. Long story short maybe talk to the guy...atleast ask him to mark the fence line best he can with flags, or markers so he doesnt take a shot onto your property.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Take some old plywood and build a ground blind about 30 yards from the line on your own property, across from his stand, and paint it bright pink. I'll bet he moves his. Leaving a cheap radio on in it will help also.
+1. The easiest solution is to just stick a battery powered radio on your side of the line during prime time. He'll get the hint when the deer run away from the area.

All kidding aside...the suggestion of talking to the guy is sound. A lot of people are just ignorant and come around when you talk to them.

Last edited by UPHunter08; 09-13-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
+1. The easiest solution is to just stick a battery powered radio on your side of the line during prime time. He'll get the hint when the deer run away from the area.

All kidding aside...the suggestion of talking to the guy is sound. A lot of people are just ignorant and come around when you talk to them.
Just remember there are laws against ruinging someone elses hunt. And without proof he is shooting onto your property, if he where to report you you would be the one paying the concequinces instead of him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.