Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

night deer

Old 07-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Spike

Default night deer

ok i have been looking for a spot to hunt. i find one so i put out my game cam keep geting like 100 pics a night ever other day . same deer 4 bucks 2 doe . the ? i have is i am only geting the deer on my cam at night so is this a bad spot there is 2 nice 8 point bucks in the pics and they are travling to gather still
Old 07-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like You have very good spot,its just the Bucks are older and wiser and are nocturnal right now.The Bucks are probably still in their Bachelor Group so they will be traveling together for a while...once the weather changes or it gets closer to the Rutting Season they will split up and probably end up sparring/fighting each other for the right to breed the Doe's.As long as You have Doe's in your area the Bucks will be around chasing them,if your goal is to shoot a nice Buck don't kill off too many Doe's.Sooner or later the Bucks will be traveling during the day time making rubs and scrapes and checking for Doe's....thats when they mess up and You'll get a shot at one of them hopefully!
Old 07-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Spike

there are a lot of deer in this area onlything i noticed all the pics are at night there are way more bucks then doe were i am i have only seen 2 doe on my cam and proble about 10 diffrent bucks
Old 07-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Older Bucks are older and bigger because they learned earlier in life to stay away from humans,they may also be nocturnal becasue of too much hunting pressure so they only move at night...to get one of those Bucks You need to set up a stand where you think they are traveling in the early mornings or late evenings to come to your property,other wise your best chances to shoot one is closer to the Rut when they are looking for love and will make the mistake of moving during the day time/hunting hours and you'll be waiting for them.Another thing to do is to set up a decoy to draw them in like a Flambeau Doe decoy during the early season and then a Buck decoy closer to the rut.That is if your Game Laws in FLorida allow it....?Here in Missouri You can use Decoys only during Bow Season and you are not allowed during Rifle/Gun Season.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's what they make spot lights for. Just kidding.

Are they coming from the same direction every night and going back the same way every morning? If they are you might try to find where they are coming from.

If they are truly nocturnal deer your best bet is likely going to be the rut.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

like the post before me said find where they are coming from or going to is the big key.

I have been watching a group of deer for 3 month now they come and go off the property a lot (NoVa). the does that have fawns with then have been running the bucks off when they get to close to their little ones its kind of funny watching a 2 year old doe run a 4 year old buck off (nice 8pt). I also know I will not see these bucks once the rut start. they run off somewhere else and then come back late November to December still looking for some love. I feel they use this property has a deer motel.

most of the places I see them now they wouldn't be when the rut starts but they do hold to it for a week or 2 before the rut gets going then they are running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Good luck post some of the pics