Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

feeding the family

Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default feeding the family

first of hi, I wasnt sure if there is a forum for introducing yourself or not so there is my intro

I have tons of friends who are always talking about letting deer walk and knocking me for shooting anything that comes along. Most of my friends are young enough they dont have a wife and kids yet. I am all for deer management if you have land and money to work with. But I was raised a little different. When we hunted it was for meat, if you smoked a big one than that was awesome, but it wasn't your goal. I still feel the rush when I shoot a button buck. I have shot a few nice bucks but nothing huge and it still feels the same to me. I am also proud to feed my family and not be one of those schmucks from the city that spends ungodly amounts of money on organic meats. Growing up all the oldtimers used to talk about how they would actually track deer for days just to shoot one. Guess deer werent as thick in that area back then. I also get a little sour letting them little guys walk when I know there are other hunters close by who are going to smoke that sucker if he walks in front of them. I hear a lot of guys talkin about deer management and lettin deer walk, but when they get to the woods they cant control themselves.
Not sayin there is anything wrong with huntin for big bucks or deer management, but whats wrong with someone who hunts to feed their family?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the board, not any particular forum to join in on so just join in. They usually want you to keep topics close to the forum title, but that is about all.
I've killed a ton of deer over the years, been in a few clubs that got on the "management" idea, but honestly I had rather hunt and hunt with others that just stick to the state regulations and everybody have a good time. Deer range over a large area and unless you have a big pen, with good genetics, and can feed special feed I don't totally think you can raise and harvest "trophy bucks". Sure if you pass a young deer there is a chance you might get him in 4 years when he is mature, but there is a bigger chance you will never see that deer again.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

With all that said, I just don't understand why people shoot buck fawn's!? Why not shoot a doe, there bigger. If people would talk with each other in an area it's not that hard to do management for 2-3 year old bucks.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

I totally agree with you.We follow all the rules so if it comes by me and its legal it is going on my 4 wheeler.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by sussexhunter

...whats wrong with someone who hunts to feed their family?
Of course... NOTHING.

I replied to Jimmy S' post about something similar and said I'm a meat hunter too. However, after thinking about it, I like being in the woods. I like the thrill of the hunt. The kill is only about 5% of the experience for me. The anticipation of "What's coming next" is a strong allure for me when being out there. I also have times when I'm a big rack hunter only. For the most part it's about the meat.

With that said, I hardly ever... almost never shoot the first deer I see because I'm looking for a decent size doe or medium young buck and they're usually not what I see first.

Who here has said anything negative about being a meat hunter?

iSnipe
Old 07-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here we go again. 3rd time this topic has come up this week.

And once again why? Guys want to measure why they hunt against why someone else hunts.

99.9 percent of us hunt be cause we love it. The thrill of the outdoors and going one on one with a deer. Everything else is secondary.

One side isn't more pure or righteous than the other so why do we feel we must keep pointing it out. Have fun, fill the freezer, plaster the wall with racks....and keep supporting other hunters even when they don't follow your drum beat.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
Here we go again. And once again why? Guys want to measure why they hunt against why someone else hunts.
Yeah, shame on you sussexhunter for being a rookie here and starting trouble already with only your 2nd post.

Welcome aboard friend. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 07-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

sorry fellas, wasnt tryin to start no problems. I guess I could have looked a little harder and found those other posts. No one on here said anything, just other hunters I have talked to. Not measuring up either, I would love to have enough land to manage deer on. Right now I am lucky enough to have a little more than ten acres to hunt on. But I feel lucky that I can hunt and have at least somewhere to do hunt. oh and I shoot the fawns because they are tender. Feed them to the kids.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

sussexhunter!

You have to read between the lines. I'm being feticious. kybuckhunter is being *_______*. (fill in yourself) You should have known by my "LOL!" &

How can you have known of other similar posts? To have someone complain of your post is ridiculous to me... very.

I understand you're looking for other like-minded individuals who hunt for the same reasons you do. To criticize you for that is... well, like I said, ridiculous. I hunt both ways. I hunt for the meat and sometimes I hunt for large racks. In the end my freezer has venison in it and I usually have a fun time doing it too!

Take care,

iSnipe
Old 07-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

iSnipe you must be rather young....by the way you respond.

Why don't we see guys asking if you dove hunt for meat....or squirrel hunt? I never belittled anyone in my response like you feel you must.

You simply can't comprehend why the question itself is divisive. Some trophy hunters always jump on guys for shooting small deer and the brown its down guys jump on the "whats he score" crowd. I'm not taking sides of any one group. I want hunters to realize there is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak.

I don't use a crossbow but I defend others right to do so. You can find many post where some act like the xbow guys and gun hunters are scum as well as people hunting over bait.

You need to understand we need to educate our own to be tolerant of others in our sport. Maybe when you get older you will understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.