HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - feeding the family
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 AM
sussexhunter
Fork Horn

Default feeding the family

first of hi, I wasnt sure if there is a forum for introducing yourself or not so there is my intro

I have tons of friends who are always talking about letting deer walk and knocking me for shooting anything that comes along. Most of my friends are young enough they dont have a wife and kids yet. I am all for deer management if you have land and money to work with. But I was raised a little different. When we hunted it was for meat, if you smoked a big one than that was awesome, but it wasn't your goal. I still feel the rush when I shoot a button buck. I have shot a few nice bucks but nothing huge and it still feels the same to me. I am also proud to feed my family and not be one of those schmucks from the city that spends ungodly amounts of money on organic meats. Growing up all the oldtimers used to talk about how they would actually track deer for days just to shoot one. Guess deer werent as thick in that area back then. I also get a little sour letting them little guys walk when I know there are other hunters close by who are going to smoke that sucker if he walks in front of them. I hear a lot of guys talkin about deer management and lettin deer walk, but when they get to the woods they cant control themselves.
Not sayin there is anything wrong with huntin for big bucks or deer management, but whats wrong with someone who hunts to feed their family?