Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Heart or lung shot

Old 07-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Lungs.

I aim for a double lung shot. I don't aim for the heart because if I'm a little forward, I'm in the shoulder. If you get both lungs, you'll find that deer....more times than not, within 100 yards or so.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heart or lung shot-572_nbef01_003_1.jpgAs this, and most deer vital diagrams clearly show, a heart shot is also a double lung shot, since the heart sits low in the chest, in between the lungs. You cannot hit the heart and not hit the lungs at most angles. Im also not sure why aiming at the center of the lungs would prevent a shoulder shot, if the hit was slightly forward, since your aiming right behind the shoulder, regardless of whether you aim for the center of the lungs, or lower for the heart.

Its really a no brainer, aim slightly low in the heart area, and you will hit the LUNGS AND HEART, if the deer does not duck down. if the deer does duck down, you still hit center of the lungs.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

Put one of these in the general area and all of its cherry pie filling....
Old 07-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Podunk those wont work at all, I can tell by the dented primer, theyre not going to go off again
Old 07-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

One quick trip to the Loony's Lair and theyll come back even better....
Old 07-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Doubled 150

I don't aim for the heart because if I'm a little forward, I'm in the shoulder.
Wow.

Friend, you really need to check the anatomy better if that's what you think.

Good luck,

iSnipe

(Edit: If I find a decent illustration, I'll show you what I mean)

Last edited by iSnipe; 07-07-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
blackelk already touched on it, but having a large target isn't as nice as one would think.

Having several boxes of 3-D archery trophies, I can tell you now that I'd have much less of them if I didn't have a small aiming reference to aim at. Whether it be a crease on the target, a shadow line or another person's arrow, they all helped me where to aim at. The same goes for a deer. While often it's hard to pick a small aiming reference on a larger target like a live deer, practicing and concentrating at hitting a small spot will ensure more accurate hits, instead of just aiming at "center mass". During crunch time it's also better to have your mind focused on something to help ease the adrenaline, ie, buck fever!

iSnipe
Maybe I didn't word it right. I first line up in the middle of the lungs then I pick a small spot. I hunt with a crossbow, so I say in my mind....front sight, front sight as I'm slowly pulling the trigger. I leared this technique from an amazing shooter. This helps me prevent trigger jerk.

If I shoot a little high or low, or the deer moves I've still got him. I understand what you're saying though.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
Put one of these in the general area and all of its cherry pie filling....
You know how guys always say shot placement, shot placement. Well my father was huntng last year and shot a spike buck in the arse. Now, granted, it was getting dark and he's getting older. We found the spike 50 yards in thick timber. He looks over at me and says the 270 strikes again.

I looked at him and said imagine if you had made a good shot. We wouldn't be walking 50 yards. We both got a good laugh. The 270 is a deer killing round for sure.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

With the right bullet any 3,000 fps round within reason kills like lightning. The .270 win just does it with class and without recoil.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haved to agree with Isnipe and Deerbearhog. I usually concentrate on aiming center mass then dropping down a third more from there. This way I am basically aiming at the top of the heart. If I miss up to 4 inches low I am still going to take out the heart all the way to the base of the heart. If I miss high, Im still hitting both lungs, but not hitting too high where I will have to wait for the lungs to fill up before I get a good blood trail. Up until the last few years though I was mainly a gun hunter so aiming for that spot would give you a 4 inch room for air in each direction. As people said before though, "Aim small, miss small"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.