HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Heart or lung shot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/325423-heart-lung-shot.html)

doetrain 07-05-2010 07:18 AM

Heart or lung shot

For those of you who have hunted with a Bow for many years and have taken many Deer,which do you most often aim for,the heart or the lungs? My first Deer was a heart shot and he did not go far,should I continue to aim there or is the lung a better choice?

podunk kennels 07-05-2010 07:31 AM

I guess it depends on the situation, I usually take the first shot Im confident I can make. If its a heart shot so be it, same with a lung shot. They both result in dead deer so they both work.

OhioBowhunter 07-05-2010 07:36 AM

ive always felt the lungs give you more lee way on your shot seeing as the are much bigger than the heart. again as podunk said its all about what you feel confident with and if you dont take the first lung shot you get then that heart shot might never show up or vice versa. it all really depends on the situation. great topic

-storm

Carbon_Slinger 07-05-2010 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by doetrain (Post 3642950)
For those of you who have hunted with a Bow for many years and have taken many Deer,which do you most often aim for,the heart or the lungs? My first Deer was a heart shot and he did not go far,should I continue to aim there or is the lung a better choice?

My dad always tells me, if its not broke, don't fix it. Keep doing what your doing.

So your from Jeffersonville, Indiana huh?? Been there to play AAU Basketball. Great place!!!

Iowabucks44 07-05-2010 08:18 AM

The lungs are alot bigger target to hit than the heart. If you happen to get a low hit aiming for the heart, you might never find that deer.

I say go for the lungs.

DeerandbearhoG 07-05-2010 08:31 AM

I always aim for the heart but not necessarily cause Im trying to hit it, I aim there cause I find deer often drop down at the sound of the shot , if they do, I still hit the lungs (which I prefer) if not, I still get the heart and lower lungs.

Kybuckhunter 07-05-2010 08:37 AM

Aim 4 the lungs...heats a bonus.

scarp262 07-05-2010 09:07 AM

aim for the lungs eat the heart

Mr. Longbeard 07-05-2010 09:30 AM

I think your better off aiming for the lungs... Much bigger target and more room for error!!!

Just a public land hunters 2cents...

mr.mc54 07-05-2010 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Iowabucks44 (Post 3642975)
The lungs are alot bigger target to hit than the heart. If you happen to get a low hit aiming for the heart, you might never find that deer.

I say go for the lungs.

I'm with you! I take the shot where there is a bigger kill area,thus a clean kill. Works for me!!!:s4::s4: